Chapter 24: Scent

Chapter 24

Scent

I stood in the doorway, watching Brent and Jagger tended to West. Brent tucked a blanket around his fiancee and shooed the future alpha away. Jagger walked over to me.

“He’ll be okay, right?”

Jagger nodded. “He’s just tired. The toxins I think were neutralized. Give him a couple days, and he’ll be back to normal.”

I nodded. “I should get some water.”

Jagger patted my shoulder and followed me back to my room. Raven was waiting there with Shiloh. The boy ran to me when I entered.

“West?” he whispered.

“He’s a tough kid. You know that.” I rustled his hair. “Go grab me a bucket and a wash cloth.”

The sub hurried off to do as he was told.

“Jagger.” Raven went to his mate. “What about the rogues? I think we need to call my dad.”

The future alpha nodded. “Where’s the phone, Ranger?”

Shiloh returned and handed me the things I needed.

“Shy, can you get the phone for Jagger?”

He ran off with the couple following him. I walked into the hall and headed for the hot pools. No one was there when I arrived. After filling the bucket, I walk straight to West’s room.

Looking inside, I saw West still asleep in the bed with Brent sitting nearby.

“I brought you some water.” I held up the bucket and entered.

Brent glared at me and remained silent.

I went to West’s side and knelt down. “We honestly didn’t know about the rogues. From what I’ve been told, rogues have never come here since Northern Ridge took over Bloodhound.” I dipped the cloth in the water and wrung it out. “We’ll take care of it. Darius doesn’t tolerate rogues.”

I chuckled to myself. “We nearly got ourselves killed when we trespassed on their land.” I washed away the blood on West’s neck. “I’ll never figure out how we survived that actually.”

“I want out of here,” stated Brent. “Do whatever you have too, but we are leaving.”

I stared down at West. “You’re leaving,” I replied. “West is not going anywhere.”

“You’d rather him stay here and get himself killed?” growled Brent.

I snarled right back. “You don’t deserve him. No city wolf will ever deserve him.”

“That’s not for you to decide. You’re simply a stand in alpha. Darius is the real man in charge, not you.”

Tossing the washcloth into the water, I stood. “I will not be disrespected by a stranger in my own pack. I am the leader here. I am the alpha.” I smirked. “A title you’ll never receive.”

“This coming from a feral,” he sneered. “Who’d want to lead a pack of runts that Northern Ridge wouldn’t take anyways.”

I clenched my fist and felt my wolf start to flare up. “You just beat a dead wolf  until Jagger pulled you off a few hours ago, and I’m feral.”

Brent jumped up. “I’m responsible for that boy. If something happens to him, my pack’s relationship with Northern Ridge would be over.”

“So this wasn’t about West?” I laughed. “Typical city wolf. You’re kind disgusted me.”