Chapter fourteen: Bloodhound

Chapter fourteen

Bloodhound

I ran my fingers gentle throw the sleeping boy’s fur. Shiloh really was a stunning wolf. He was curled up tightly in a ball with the blankets pulled up under his chin. It was weird to think he’d actually be considered an adult in a couple months. I brushed backed his head fur. It was so soft. Probably just as soft as that puppy’s. Shiloh was too pure for this world. Mating might destroy that, even though I wanted that connection with him, I couldn’t ruin that innocents. 

“Ranger,” said a soft voice from the door.

I looked over to see West standing there holding his arm. Blood was running through his finger. I panicked and waved him out, mouthing for him to leave. That was last thing I need Shy to see. 

The little sub stirred and rolled over. “Ranger? Who’s here?”

“Jagger came by.” I grabbed the blanket and tucked it around him. “You keep sleeping, and I’ll go talk to him in the hall.”

He yowled and closed his yes. “Kay.”

I quickly kissed his cheek before grabbing some short and stumbling into them as I hurried out the door. West was no where to be seen. I jogged down the corridor and caught up to him. “West wait!” I grabbed his shoulder and stun him around. “I meant to wait in the hall, not run off, idiot.”

He didn’t respond and just stared at the wall. 

Running a hand down my face, I sighed. “What happened?”

“I wasn’t trying to be,” he took in a shaky breath. “defiant.”

“Come on,” I put an arm around him and led him back to my room. 

He was shaking, but with the cut on his arm not healing, it was no surprised why. We reached the doorway, and I peeked inside. Shy was still asleep and had the blanket pulled over his head.

“Wait here.” I tiptoed in and grabbed a towel. Once back outside, I ushered West down the hall to the deeper tunnels. Less people to get in the way. We found an small room with a spring trickling out of the wall. I sat him down and knelt down to wet the rag. 

I glanced back at him to see his chin practically resting on his chest. “What did you do?”

He shook his head. “I rather not talk about it,” he whispered. 

“Fair enough.” I wiped away the blood. “I’m going to heal it, so just stay still for a moment.”

West nodded. 

I licked the cut. Whoever had done this had gone deeper than necessary. It didn’t take long though for the skin to pull back together. I sat back on my heels and looked at him. West wouldn’t acknowledge me.

“Anywhere else that hurts?”

He shrugged and shook his head. “I’m fine.”

“What happened West?”

“Nothing,” he muttered. He pulled his arm in closer to his chest. 

“That’s a damn lie, and we both now it. Nothing doesn’t leave a mark, idiot.”

“Ranger,” he breathed, before dropping his head into his hand. “Just go.”

I sighed. “Alright. I get it.” I cleaned out the rag and started washing away the rest of the blood.

“You don’t have too,” he said softly.

“Well if you miss a spot and Shiloh sees, that’s not something I want to deal with. The kid may seem timid, but there is a lot of drama trapped in that little body.” I received a small smile from him, but it quickly faded. “Do I need to talk to someone about this?”