Chapter 20: Sub Drama

Chapter 20

Sub Drama

I sat with the usual group in the eating chamber. After being at Hidden Peak three weeks, I had made my first kill without any help from Jagger with the regular hunting party today. Saigon’s help had paid off and after a couple day with him, I was feeling alright about my hunting ability. I wasn’t anything great, but I was at least decent.

My beta was giving me his usual smug looks. It was killing my high.

I played with Shiloh’s hair as he leaned against me, chewing on a bone. “If there’s something you need to say, than do it?”

Jagger looked between us.

Gage laughed and cracked open a bone. “You’re first elk. You might actually be an alpha. Well maybe.”

Jagger swallowed what he was chewing. “What are you talking about? Ranger been pulling his weight.”

The beta shook his head. “Don’t worry, I won’t let the pack know about your little arrangement with Jagger and the trips to the border.” He gave me a grin. “You really thought I wouldn’t notice.”

I gritted my teeth.

“Every elk you brought in,” he licked out the marrow. “Had Jagger scent on it. I’ve been keeping a close watch on you, Ranger. Maybe in a couple years, you’ll be alpha material, but right now you’re still a pup.”

I lurched forward but Jagger blocked me. He pressed a hand to my chest, making me sit back.

“Saigon and I have been working with him,” said Jagger. “He knows what he’s doing now. There’s no need to worry. The pack doesn’t need to know.”

Gage smiled. “Fine, I’m just happy our great and powerful leader can actually feed his pack now.” He stood and left the room with his mate on his arm. “Since you are supposed to be in charge.”

“I swear, Jagger. I might kill that man.”

He took a deep breath. “You two need to figure this out. This pack will never work when the alpha and beta are constantly fighting.”

“We both have to want it for this to work.” I stood and grabbed Shy’s hand. “And Gage doesn’t want it.”

“Ranger wait,” called Jagger as I stormed from the room.

I hate it here. I hate have to put up with such disrespectful jackasses, but then again I should be used it. Those were the kind of wolves I grew up around.  Dragging my mate along behind me, I went back to our room. Flopping down on the bed, I shoved my face into the furs. Shy knelt beside me.

“Ranger,” he said softly, curling up against me.

I rolled over and wrapped my arms around him. “I’m tired, Shy,” I said with a sigh. “I’m tired of this alpha stuff. I might be capable, but that doesn’t mean I want to do it.”

“We could,” he sucked in his lips. “With West.”

Hugging him to my chest, I kissed the top of his head. I hadn’t told the boy West was probably gone for good. It would just upset him and that wasn’t something I wanted added on top of the rest of my worries. “We can’t, Shy. I wish we could, but it’s too late. They’ll never let us leave/”

The boy whimpered softly.

“It’s alright,” I rubbed his back. “Let’s get some sleep. It been a long day, and I’m ready for it to be over.”

***

Jagger tossed the last of their bags into the back of their ATV. “Well it times you try this by yourself. I can only lead you along for so long.”

“Hmmm…” I folded my arms and let out a sigh. “This seems like a bad idea to me.”

“I’ve done all I can. You have to gain their respected now.”

I shook my head. “Gage is making that hard.”

“Work it out with him, Ranger.”

“You can’t reason with an ass,” I muttered under my breath.

“I mean it. Bloodhound is important to me. I’m not letting you two ruin this place. You have the solar phone to call me, if anything comes up.” He looked me in the eyes. “But it better be serious. No beta and alpha spats. Fix those by yourself. I have to with my own beta. Saigon and Gage have many similarities.”

“Fine,” I said, scratching my neck.

Our mates walked down the path to the road. Shiloh looked miserable. Raven had his arm around the boy.

“I’ll visit soon to check on you. You’ll be okay here. I left all my soaps and brushes for you. I send more when I can.”

My mate nodded and let out a sad sigh.

“There are a couple other subs around you can hangout with.”

Shy whimpered.

“Oh no.” Raven hugged the boy tightly. “Jagger can we just keep him.”

“No,” I said plainly, pulling Shiloh over to me.

Jagger laughed. “Well, that’s a definite no. Besides we’ll have pups of our soon, and you can spoil them.”

The sub scoffed. “He telling me no. We have to wait until things settle down. Jesse has a son now.”

“They’ve been mated longer,” replied the future alpha.

“And that makes a difference. When was their a rule about how long you have to wait.” Throwing his hands up, Raven marched to the ATV and climbed into the passenger side.

Jagger gave me a sheepish grin. “It’s going to be a long ride.”

“You did it,” I replied.

I glanced over at the sub to see the man fuming. For such an angelic looking werewolf, he sure did get worked up when it came to the topic of pups.

I shook my head. “Good luck with that.”

“I’m used to it.” He took a deep breath. “Anyways, you’re in charge now. Keep an eye on things and remember something goes wrong, Northern Ridge is just on the other side of the mountains. ” He slid into the driver’s seat.

Raven wouldn’t look at him and was clearly pouting. I could only hope Shiloh remained the timid little boy he is now. I didn’t think I could do with that kind of sub drama.

The couple started down the road, and with a wave, I led Shiloh back to the cave. The boy had his head bowed and would peek at me occasionally.

“What is it?” I breathed.

Shiloh bit his lip.

“Look I know you’re upset about Raven leaving, but they’re other subs you can play with around here. Gage’s mate has a little brother. I can arrange something for you.”

The sub shook his head. “Not that.”

“Hmmm,” I raised an eyebrow. “Then what?”

“Um…” He stared into the forest. “Puppies,” he whispered. “I want one too.”

My stomach dropped. I was going to be sick.