Chapter 16: The Pack Comes First

Chapter 16

The Pack Comes First

Shiloh and I were finishing up packing the few things we had as West sat in the corner. He hadn’t spoken all morning and still looked pretty shook up after what had happened the day before. I zipped up the duffle bag that had our clothes in it and walked over to him. 

“Hey,” I grabbed the back of his neck. “Come on now, you’re fine. We’re all going to be fine.”

“Yeah.” He nodded and slowly stood. “Thanks,” he said softly. “You didn’t have to do that. I know you didn’t want too.”

I shook him lightly. “We’re a pack. It’s time I accepted this whole Alpha thing anyways.” Grabbing the couple bags we had, I led the way out to the main chamber. Shiloh grabbed West’s hand and pulled him along. 

The alpha and his little group were waiting. I didn’t really for any of them. 

“Are you ready?” asked Daven.

I dropped my load on the ground. “Yep.” I folded my arm. “Rather not live around vindictive assholes anyways.”

Daven growled at me, but didn’t make a move as his father raised a hand to silence him. 

“You’ll come to understand what I did was for the best of the pack,” stated the alpha. “It’s something you will learn quickly. Bloodhound is now yours, and those wolves are your reasonability.”

I took a deep breath. “Fine, got it.” I motioned for Shiloh. “Let’s go.”

Jagger led the way. I picked up our things and head toward the door with West and Shiloh.

“Oh no,” Darius grabbed West arm and yanked him back. “You’re not going.”

“Ranger?” whimpered Shiloh. 

“What the hell, Darius.” I flung the bags back on the ground. “He’s my pack. West is coming with us.”

“No he’s not.” The alpha shoved the poor boy toward Daven who grabbed him firmly by the arm. “I’m not letting a rogue into an already unstable pack.”

“He could be a good bartering tool,” said Daven, looking West over. “If his bloodline is good, we could strike a deal.”

“What?” I spat. “Deal? What are talking about?” I looked around the group but didn’t see anyone phases by it. “This whole thing is stupid. Hand him over and stop playing around. West belongs with me and Shiloh.”

Darius shook his head. “He belongs to Northern Ridge.”

I moved up close to the alpha. “I never would have agree to this if I had know West won’t be coming.” I growled in his face. 

“The boy stays here, Ranger,” Darius said calmly. “Bloodhound is your pack now, and West is not going to be apart of that. He might not even be part of Northern Ridge for long.”

Gritting my teeth, I withheld the urge to hit him. “If you mate West off like some common omega-”

“What Ranger, you’ll do what?” He narrowed his eyes at me. “You asked me to let him into my pack, and I did. Any wolf of his status and rank would be treated the same. I’m doing the exact same thing with West as I am with every other low ranking wolf. Finding them mates and at the same time make the pack’s alliance stronger.”

“You have plenty of wolf around here.” I swallowed hard, knowing I was losing this argument. “Hell, Darius, you’re Northern Ridge. Your alliances are strong enough, so just give me West.”