-Chapter VII-

*Briar POV*  

I stand there. Next to his bed, still in shock of what just happened. How'd he just leave like that? I hear loud footsteps and I rush back to my own bed and throw the covers over myself. I can hear Madam Pomfrey mumbling as she reads a letter. I soon fall back asleep.

I wake up to Madam Pomfrey shaking my gently.

"Sorting day!" She says excitedly and hands me a letter. I sit up and read it.

Dear Miss Haven, 

                 Today you will arrive at lunch and go strait to professor Dumbledore's seat at the end of the hall. Then you will be sorted into your house. After you will attend appropriate classes with our other students. You will not be needing a wand, we have created a unique schedule for you so that you will be able to learn here.    

-Professor McGonagall 

"Why did I even come here? I'm not even a witch." I ask.

"I'm not quite sure dear, something about you possessing some kind of natural ability? I don't know, just something Dumbledore was talking about a few days ago at a meeting." She said.

Natural ability's?  Whats that supposed to mean?  "Thanks." I say and stuff my letter into my bag, by this point it was full of at least eight or nine different books given to me yesterday for my classes.

I get dressed In a grey t-shirt and a pair of jeans. I grab my backpack and sling it over one shoulder. My brush, toothpaste, toothbrush, and wash had all been put away so I combed my fingers with my hair and stuck a piece of gum in my mouth.  Madam Pomfrey brought me a bowl of fruit and milk for breakfast and I ate it swiftly. I still had two more hours to spare before lunch so I wondered the school halls. Everyone knew I existed by now and when I passed others they looked at me strange. Maybe it was my clothes? Everyone else wore robes and ties. Or it could be that they don't have any idea where I came from. I'd gotten pretty used to the school, even though the changing staircases  scared me at first. Now I can get myself pretty much anywhere without getting lost. I look down at my watch and realize I have half an hour until sorting, so I start going in the direction of the Great Hall.

I'm almost there when I hear something from an un-used classroom. It's whimpering. I see a guy standing over a girl with red hair. She is backed up in a corner and in a ball. The boy is looming over her and threatening her with his wand. 

I have to do something! I think to myself and rush over to him and pull his shoulder around. I don't know or care what he was doing I just know he was being mean. I put myself in between them and punch him right in the face. He stumbles backwards and touches his face. 

"What do you think you're doing to her!" I yell at him, my hands squeezed in tight fists. He looks up to me. and smirks. 

That smirk... I've seen it before.  I look to him and cover my mouth with my hand. The girl with red hair is long gone, I've taken her spot in the corner. 

"So that's how you muggles defend huh?" He says sarcastically. I look at his grey eyes, his white-blonde hair...

"M-Malfoy?" 

"The one and only," He slightly thrusts his arm out and bows without looking down. "Now you'd better run along to your little sorting ceremony before you end up like the last one." He says threatening me with his wand. I slowly walk out the door. When I'm out of the room I put my back against the wall and close my eyes. I take a deep breath, trying to process what'd just happened. I thought he was a nice guy, he'd seem so, helpless. And now it turns out he's a total jerk! I forget about my interaction with him and walk on toward the Great Hall.

*Draco Malfoy POV*

She didn't deserve that... I stick my wand back in my pocket and run my hand through my hair, looking down. I know I should hate her, I should think she did  deserve it. But I don't. I can't stop thinking about her wavy hair, and her lavender smell and- No. If I let my feelings control me then I can't complete my mission. Voldemort will be furious. I can't let myself fall in love with a- a muggle. I shake off the thought. I hear her footsteps trail away and I take the long way to the Great Hall to avoid her.