-Chapter VIII-

*OMG I HAVE OVER 50 VIEWS!!! I just want to quickly thank everyone for your support and I really appreciate it!  -Rosemarie* 

*Briar Haven POV*

The great hall is empty when I get there. All that's on the tables are plates and cups. I look over to the head table where Dumbledore Is already sitting. He has a quill in hand an is writing on a piece of parchment. He looks up at me and smiles. It was a small smile, but it was still there. He folds his letter in half and hands it to a tawny owl by his side. The owl flies out a huge window and Dumbledore walks over to me.

"Ah, Miss Haven." He says slowly, "I expect you've come for the sorting?" I nod slightly, I confess I am a bit nervous. Dumbledore takes out his wand and waves it, muttering something under his breath and a stool appears in front of the head table. On top of the stool was a gray, ragged hat. It looked just like the one Professor Mcgonagall wore, except it was worn down. Big wrinkles and holes made it look more like a saggy piece of fabric than a hat.

"Is that it... Is that, the sorting hat?" I look to Dumbledore like Are you serious?  

"Yes my dear, now we have a few minutes before students start arriving, follow me." He took me behind the head table where there was an extra chair next to his. He motioned me to sit as students and teachers arrived. I got a lot of strange looks. They weren't exactly mean, just, curious. Once again I felt like a sore thumb. Everyone was dressed in their Hogwarts uniforms whereas I was dressed in some jeans and a t-shirt. To them I looked like I was from a different planet. I liked that somehow. When the chaos of people getting seated ended Dumbledore stood up from his chair and motioned for everyone to quiet down. 

"Hello everyone, now, you might have seen this young lady around the school lately," He glazed his arm toward me, "And you may have questions. In fact we have gotten some, complaints, if you will, to teachers about her wondering the halls." 

Dumbledore continues speaking about how I'm a muggle and how he believes I'm different and blah blah blah, I'm just focused on everyone else. There are four long tables, each decorated with a different color. One is dark green, one yellow maroon, and blue. I recognize Draco seated at the dark green table. I look at him and wonder what he's thinking. Why was he so nice to me in the hospital wing, but so cruel to the red-haired girl? I think about how scared she seemed and how fierce Draco was. Why are people so confusing in this school?  I ask myself. Some part of me wants to shout at him, to ask him why. But another part wants to feel compassionate. For a split second Draco notice I'm staring at him and he smirks. I look away quickly and draw my attention back to Dumbledore. 

"I trust you will accept Miss. Haven for what she is, and treat her as not a muggle, but as one of us." Dumbledore finishes. There was a light applaud from the room and Dumbledore motioned for me to go to the sorting hat. Eyes follow me as I pick it up and sit on the stool. I feel ridiculous putting on the wrinkled hat. How does this thing even work?  I ask myself. 

Oh I work quiet fine Miss Briar Haven.  A voice says in my head. I flinch upon hearing the voice. 

Surprised you did I? I am the sorting hat! Now.... Hmmmm lets see... The voice says in my head. The sorting hat... can talk. Thats it I've gone mad! I thought, but no the hat corrected me and said he was very much real. I close my eyes as I hear it whispering into my head.

Hmmm, difficult difficult. Very compassionate, and smart. Also bold and brave. Hard decision very very hard. 

I squeeze my hands together Please let me belong please let me belong somewhere... I think.

I know I know, you will belong.  The hat says to me. Once again I flinch not knowing it could hear my thoughts.

Hmmm, how will I chose. It'd better be... There is a long pause and the room is silent. I feel the sweat dripping down my face. The whole room stares at me as the hat takes its time deciding.

*Sorry for the cliffhanger MWAHAHAHAHAHA anyways, the reason I didn't sort her in this chapter is because I DON'T KNOW WHAT HOUSE TO PUT HER IN!  Please leave a suggestion in the comments below <3 -Rosemarie*