Chapter 7: She saw him

"Aren't you happy we picked the second floor?" Nicole asked as she folded her clothes and arranged them neatly into a wardrobe. They had cleared out the webs and wiped the dust off.

"Kind of."

"Without you scaring me or not, the third floor looks creepy. Plus it's poorly illuminated."

"Whatever. I think we should just be quiet till we finish unpacking." Gail was trying to focus.

It was evening already. Kevin brought out the disc he had cleaned earlier and was staring at it. He wondered what the disc contained. It should be on something about the owners and the mansion. He showed Lucian the disc.

"So what are you gonna do with this?"

"Play it on Ms Carter's laptop. It seems interesting. Are you watching?"
Lucian thought it through before replying.

"Yes."

Kevin went from one room to another asking everyone if they wanted to watch what was on the disc. They all said yes.
This would make the evening a little bit fun.

The 12 patients came down to the first floor where Ms Carter sat quietly reading a book. She was always reading. She looked up being aware of their presence and made a face. What's-the-matter face.

"Ms Carter, I was wondering if we could use your laptop for some few minutes." Kevin requested humbly.

"What for?"

"We just need to see what's on a disc?" Kevin presented the disc to her.
Ms Carter collected the disc and looked at it's front and back.

"Where did you get this?" She asked.

"In a room upstairs. It was on a table covered in dust."

"It's ancient already. My system will not be able to read the disc." She handed the disc back to Kevin who looked disappointed.

"You can always try." Gail pressed on. She was also eager to watch.

Ms Carter smiled. It was one of the things she had told them previously during a therapy session. She was glad to know someone was being retentive.

"Let me have it." She brought out her laptop and placed it on a table close to them. She switched it on waiting for it to load. When the system was fully on, she took the disc and inserted it. The patients sat on the floor hoping it will be able to play.

Surprisingly, the disc began to read. The patients were overjoyed. Ms Carter was wondering how an ancient disc coated in dust would read on her system. She was puzzled. All of a sudden, she became interested in watching as well.

A man picture was on the screen. It was the same man Emmanuel had guessed as the owner of the mansion. The man whose picture hung on the wall of the spiral staircase.
Under the picture was written: Mr Donald Humphrey.

The next picture was a picture of Donald, a lady who was assumed to be his wife and twelve little children. It was a black and white picture.

"They are large." Krymson said with her eyes on the screen.

"Not that large." Caroline corrected.

Another picture came up. It still featured Donald Humphrey and a number of other people.
Under the picture was written boldly: We are one.

Nicole yawned. "This was supposed to be interesting." Her sister motioned her to keep shut and watch.

The next picture was of a young boy. He sat on a bicycle wearing shorts and a singlet. He wore a smile looking at the camera.