Chapter 9: Who's Next?

They remained quiet in their respective rooms. What happened to Naomi served as a lesson to them. They had seen the man grab her by the hair.

Gail and Nicole were no longer together, they had to split up as well. The lights were off as Steven had instructed. Matt had a torch with him just in case it was needed.

The man seemed to walk down the hallway of the second floor causing them to shiver. After some minutes, there was perfect silence. He was gone.

Matt brought out his phone from his pocket and began texting Steven. Where do we go from here? Should we just stay in the room?
Steven phone beeped. It was upstairs in his room. The man was in Steven's room searching when he heard the phone make a sound.
He read the message and smiled to himself. He had an advantage.

Steven hoped team B followed his instructions strictly. He hoped they didn't make a sound and put the lights on. In the darkness, he held Nicole's hand and stroked it quietly. Finally, he hoped they would make it out alive.

Matt received a message notification. Pee pee came the sound from his phone. "Shit!" He quickly put the phone in a silent mode. He didn't want to be the reason for anyone's death.
Are you still there? I made my way to the third floor to look for our friends. Can you come up quickly and assist me.

Matt could feel he was sweating again. Steven wasn't supposed to leave the room. Why would he go in search of Kevin and Lucian at this critical time?

He passed the phone to Gail, Krymson and Emmanuel to read. They shook their head disapprovingly after reading.
He collected his phone to text Steven again. Sorry I can't leave here.

Steven hadn't heard the man's footsteps on the second floor where they hid. Perhaps he was laying a trap for them all. He was trying hard to develop an escape strategy since the door leading them to the outside world had been locked.
Nicole put her head on Steven's shoulder trying to comfort herself. If this had been a dream, it would have been better but this was stark reality. So far so good team A was playing by the rules.

Matt received another message. Matt I need your help. I'm in my room. Come quickly please.
Matt whispered to the members of his team that he was going upstairs to help Steven look for Kevin and Lucian.
They nodded.

He grabbed his torch and opened the door quietly.
Steven was alarmed. In the silence, he could hear the sound of the door open. If it was the man, they could have heard footsteps except he managed to walk as noiselessly as he did while he watched he and Nicole kiss. Two options before him, either someone had violated the rule or the man was around.

Matt climbed the spiral staircase visibly shaking with a torch in his hand. He wished he hadn't stepped out of the room to help Steven. Wasn't he the one who instructed them to remain in their rooms, be quiet and put the light off? Now, he was endangering himself when there was a psycho among them.