Chapter 8: Victims of Circumstances

Everyone decided to take a rest. The video they had seen was just a series of old family pictures. Nothing special.

Ms Carter sat in the parlour thinking of what to do. She picked up her laptop to browse. She typed Donald Humphrey in the search rectangular box and waited for the results.

She was scrolling when she saw something that drew her attention. She clicked on one of the search results and started reading. It was the family history.

In 1959, Mr Jack Humphrey, Donald's younger brother sent his son to a mental institution without a second thought for attempting to kill him while he was asleep.
According to a scandal told to the media in 2000, Jack Humphrey had a sexual affair with Vicky Humphrey (Donald's wife). The name of the person who told the media wasn't written down.

Donald was believed to have fallen from a spiral staircase in his home thus, breaking his neck. Jack soon became the owner of the mansion after marrying Vicky, his late brother's wife.
In 1959, Jack Humphrey's son escaped from the mental institution he was put in causing an uproar.

In 1964, Bob, Jack's son was found after his father's death.

She kept scrolling till she got to the last paragraph.

He didn't have an identity. He managed to escape a fire outbreak at the Argent's therapy home in 2002.

Ms Carter couldn't believe her eyes. There was a link between the mansion and the therapy home where she worked. Someone was the link. The person had tactfully hidden his identity from the public.

Kevin and Lucian agreed to go to fourth floor in the middle of the night for sight-seeing.

"It should be just between the both of us." Kevin whispered.
Lucian grabbed a torch and whispered back to Kevin.

"I might not be awake by then. Let's go now." Kevin finally accepted.

They would be the first people to go to the fourth floor. There was another spiral staircase leading to the fourth floor just like other floors had a connecting staircase to the next floor.

"Switch on the torch in your hand."

Lucian immediately turned the torch on. The fourth floor was quite different from the other floors. It had pillars all over and resembled a temple.