Chapter 21

"I want to thank everyone for being here tonight. I want to thank my beautiful wife and daughter aswell as all of my friends and their families who have also come tonight" the whole crowd claps and shouts in happiness for my dad.

Tonight we are at an award ceremony and he is also doing his album release here, right now he is thanking everyone because he won the award for most successful music artist for the year.

Mom is wearing a beautiful light blue dress that has a sweetheart neckline and black lace around her bust.

I am wearing a two piece evening dress. It has a red bottom and a white top which  closes up my cleavage. The white is lined with red detail and I have paired the dress with white heels and a black clutch.

My lips are red and my eye make up aswell, I am also wearing my necklace which I never take off.

The half heart with my name on it. Cole has the other half as a keyring, only his has his name on it.

We got them a few years ago on Christmas. He bought it for me while I got him a completely new art set that lets him do anything he wishes.

Dad announces that his new album is called "I would" and then he plays the main song of the album.

Only, my mouth falls open when I realize that it is the song I wrote and sang on the piano when he told me he knows about my friendships, the only difference is that he is singing it.

When he walks off, the night is called to an end and we are all lead to the after party where they are playing dad's new album.

Luckily, we only have to walk through a hall and to the next room which is decorated beautifully with lights and banners everywhere.

I walk over to the bar and ask for a glass of sparkling water with a slice of lemon and ice. Easily enough, I get my water and return to the seat which has been assigned to me.

I engage in some chit chat with people I do not know for about an hour before we finally get food.

Starters was a light tomato soup with homemade bread. The main course was a beef wellington paired with a baked potato and then a side salad. Dessert was a créme broule and some ice cream.

After all the food, I am stuffed. Really I can barely drink some water and we were told to dance.

So, instead of dancing I walk over to the far corner and stand watching the people.

I observe the way that everyone acts with each other and smile when I see my mom laugh and my dad making a funny face.

All of their friends are around them and then I realize that all of my friends will be finding me soon.

Honestly, that is the last thing I want right now, I just want to be alone for a bit.

I turn around and face the wall while taking my phone out of my clutch and turning it on.

As soon as it switches on, I walk outside to go get some air. I don't like being around so many people for so long.

"Emily!" I ignore the call and start walking faster on purpose "Emily can we please talk?!" I shake my head and carry on walking "there is nothing to talk about"

"Yes there is! I was wrong" I turn around and look at him in anger "I came here tonight for my dad, not to hear you apologize and just do it again. Maybe we aren't best friends like we thought" he glares at me

"So you aren't even going to hear me out?" This time I glare "why? So that you can tell I am pathetic for leaving? Or so that you can tell me how hooked I am on the past?"

"Well, Emily, I don't see you telling any of us why you left! Do you know what that felt like?! Your best friend wants nothing to do with you and you don't even know why!" I roll my eyes and cross my arms over my chest while shaking my head.

"You know it's true. Let's be honest Emily, you left because you thought we aren't good enough for you!" I look at him offended and before he can say anything else, I cut him off.

"You want to know why I left!? I left because I thought that I wasn't good enough for you guys! I left because when you can't grow up like a normal person you have to be someone else and usually this causes you to lose yourself! I left because I didn't want to ruin you guys the way that I have ruined myself. Being my best friend you should know I would never think I am better than any of you." I take a deep breath and control my anger. I notice that the whole group is now watching us but I still don't care.

"Guess we aren't best friends" I walk up to him and yank the chain off from around my neck. "Can't believe I like you" I mumble as I walk past him and past all of my other friends.

He is struck into silence and still standing like a statue while I run to the bathroom and splash drops of cold water onto my face before I look at myself in the mirror.

I can barely recognize myself.

I have gone from girl who has two lives with everything sorted out, to girl with one messed up life and a whole bunch of enemies.

How?

I don't really care. Two more months and I get to leave for college. I get to leave these losers.

With this thought in my mind, I walk out of the bathroom and right past Cole and the whole group in the hall where the party is.

Quickly finding my parents, I fill in with their conversations and for the rest of the night I find myself in a much better world than before the evening.