four

four

--

I sigh as I chuck on my sweater, the air wasn’t entirely cold but it wasn’t hot either, but the sweater was thick enough to provide some kind of warmth – if I needed it – Oh what am I saying? I miss Michael – he hasn’t texted me in three days and I’m starting to wonder what’s going on – he’s most probably lost interest in me. But I feel like if I write first he’ll think I’m a clingy weirdo. So here I am, walking to school, despite the fact I begged and begged my mother, she wouldn’t let me stay home – so now I have to try and lay low.

I toss my pastel blue hair over my shoulder, and cross my arms as I walk through the horrid old doors of the school. I curse under my breath, noticing the bells already rung as I check the time. I pass the classrooms, everybody staring at me; of course, why wouldn’t they? I got dumped by the hottest guy in school. My hands find their way to the hem at the bottom of my green and blue checked school dress, suddenly feeling as if the collar is choking me. When I get to the door of my math class, I prepare myself for the yelling my teacher, Mr Sykes would be giving me but when I walk through the door, the familiar smell stench of the mouldy socks filling my nose – probably due to the fact the math room was also the science lab – all eyes are locked on me and Mr Sykes just waves his hand dismissively as he speaks.

I sit, taking the seat at the very, very back of the room, flipping open the textbook to the page written sloppily on the blackboard. I scribble a few notes, not really paying attention to what he was talking about, the sound of some whispering making me snap my head up a little too quickly.

“Did you seriously sleep with Brad?” Isla, the girl sitting adjacent from me, her brown eyes widening as she spoke, her fingers slightly fiddling with the ends of her cherry-red curls. If I was drinking, I would’ve choked, though I gagged on the air, the mouldy stench of the classroom probably didn’t help.

“No what the hell? Where did you hear that from?” I asked, my voice coming out more panicky then intended.

“Oh, well that’s what he’s been telling everyone. He said, he slept with you and then you started becoming really distant and then Wendy came along and yeah.” She explains, carefully studying my face. I gasp, placing a hand over my mouth; how dare he.

“I swear, I didn’t, what a pig.” I reply, but I feel like bawling my eyes out. No wonder everyone thinks I am total slut; I’m the victim in this story, but he’s turning this around.

“If it makes you feel better, I’m totally on your side; Brad’s nothing but trouble and you seem like you would never do anything like that.” She says, offering me a small smile before turning back to her freshly manicured nails, and tapping them on the desk one after the other.

“Cass.” A voice calls causing me to look at Isla, as if the voice was coming from her but she shakes her head, pointing to Mr Sykes.

“The office wants to see you.”  He says, his dark blue eyes shining in an odd sympathetic way as he watches me grab my bag and walk out of the classroom.

I approach the front desk, the middle aged lady behind the desk, looking more uninterested than ever.

“Can I help you?” She snaps rudely, and I have the urge biggest urge to rip that mole right off –

“I had to see the office, Cass Helliwell.” I reply, biting my tongue.

“Oh. Someone signed you out, said it was a family matter.” She explains and waves her hand for me to leave when she’s finished, leaving me confused; a family matter?

I walk outside the building, the sound of my shoes sliding against the concrete making me sigh, as I wait for my dad or mum to come and get me; but instead I’m faced with a blonde and black haired boy. His presence causes my breath to get hitched in my throat, suddenly feeling a lot dryer than it was a few seconds ago.

“How are you princess?” He asks, the corners of his mouth curling into a smirk.

“Why are you here?” I speak out, confused, my eyebrows knitting together causing him to chuckle.

Aw, I missed you too.” He replies sarcastically, rolling his eyes playfully.