6. Present

6. Present

A knock at the door interrupted us and I flinched when Callen abruptly removed his hand from my cheek as if he had been caught in fault.

"Are you guys ready?" My lawyer asked, trying to control her voice so that it wouldn't show she was getting impatient with us.

I looked to my left, searching Callen's eyes. He held all the cards now. If he said yes, this was it, I would have to sign away our marriage. I couldn't protest anymore, there was nothing I could say that would keep this from happening.

"Actually Sky and I are going to talk outside for a little bit, would it be possible to reschedule?"

Hearing these words, I felt like I had just been freed from death row. Like the air could circulate back to my lungs. I stopped myself from crying in relief and bit my lip to contain my sobs.

Both lawyers were very aggravated but I didn't give a rat's ass. Callen told his lawyer he would call him back and I followed him outside without a word. I didn't want to let myself hope that this meant anything. Maybe he was just doing this to lighten his guilty conscience.

I couldn't hope in vain, I wouldn't have my heart be crushed again.

But I still did.

"The Perks?" Callen proposed.

I nodded. We hadn't gone back to the coffee shop in years. Was this a sign? Or just a way to close the chapter of us correctly? Once we got inside, we placed ourselves in line. My mind was working on overdrive, wondering if I should break the silence myself or if it was better to wait until we were seated so that we could have a minimum of privacy. I opted for the second option.

The cashier asked for our order once we had moved in line and I didn't even have to open my mouth that Callen was already speaking.

"One large Vanilla Latte with a shot of caramel and a large black coffee please."

I tried to ignore the teenager part of me that was still alive and getting excited over the fact that my husband still remembered what I liked to drink. It was a small gesture but it seemed like a step in the right direction.

The barista placed our drinks on the counter a few minutes later. Callen was about to grab both but I stopped him.

"Wait!"

He frowned at me.

"Don't." I just said.

A flash of realization flashed in his eyes and he gave me a hint of a smile as I grabbed both cups.

"A promise is a promise." He whispered, almost to himself, before following me to the table in the corner.

It may have been incredibly stupid but I was still holding on to hope.