28. Present

28. Present

I was woken up by the sunlight peering through the blinds, wrapped in Callen's arms, and I felt disoriented for a second. And then it all came flooding back to me. We had fallen asleep late in the early morning after watching every videos Callen had of our son.

I didn't want to move. It felt too good to be in Callen's arms again for the first time in months. I glanced at the clock and saw it was already noon. I had slept for more than six hours but I felt absolutely and utterly exhausted. Or perhaps drained was the right word.

The previous day had taken all of my energy and I was afraid to have to face this one. I had no idea what Callen would say or think when he would wake up. Was last night just a way to end our relationship right or was it a step in the direction of reconstructing an us?

"Morning." Callen mumbled, wiping his eyes with his hands curled into fists, just like he always used to do. It made him look like a little child for seconds and I loved seeing that side of him, burden-free.

"Hey."

He unwrapped his arms from me to stretch and I almost protested but I remembered I was on uncharted territory here so I didn't have any right to.

"Did you sleep okay? I should probably have offered you to sleep on my bed..."

"I slept well." I interrupted him with a smile. "I'm going to make breakfast."

He nodded and yawned, stretching his arms upward as I got up and trotted towards the kitchen. If no one knew we had been about to sign divorce papers yesterday, they would have thought this was a normal morning for us. But it wasn't. There were still questions needing answers, problems to be solved.

I opened the different cabinets and managed to find ingredients to whip out some pancakes. Callen had gone to the bathroom and I heard the sound of the shower as I mixed the ingredients together.

By the time he had stepped out of the bathroom, the pancakes were ready to be eaten in a plate, with chocolate for him and maple syrup for me. He smiled and thanked me before sitting down at the table and forking some into his mouth.

We ate in silence but it wasn't awkward. Neither one of us wanted to face reality this early in the afternoon but I could almost guess what was running through his mind.

Once we had finished eating, he helped me clean the dishes and put them back in the cabinets. A simple thank you broke the silence but that was it.

Until we had nothing left to do and were left with ourselves.

"There's a thousand things I want to say Sky." Callen started. "There's a lot of things we need to talk about and think about."

I nodded, since I didn't know what to say.

"There's only one thing I want to do right now though and it has nothing to do with talking."

I blinked a couple times as he took a couple steps my way and framed my face with his hands before kissing me.