Chapter 32

Grandfather paradox.

It was an age-old argument of preventing your birth by killing your grandparents. A hypothetical situation in which a person goes back in time to kill his grandfather at a time before he met his grandmother, and by doing so his father would never be born, and neither would the person himself.

It was simply an auto-suicide.

Chat Noir was facing a similar predicament, but with his hypothetical parents. Both the bride and the groom were huddled together, hiding beneath the church tabernacle as his black bubbling hands hovered above their heads. He hasn't aimed his Cataclysm intentionally to a person before or dreamed of using it out of defense or simply got curious to see the result if a living soul took it.

According to Plagg, the reason why he was chosen to bear the Cat Miraculous was due to the fact that he has high morals not to use the power of destruction for selfish gains. But was he?

Because right now he was trying to commit a parricide.

He knew that these people were fabricated by Twiddle Gain using his personal memories about Notre Dame. The Akuma didn't use any historical references associated with the church like the persecution of the Huguenots or the Festival of Reason he already learned from school, or even the marriages of certain monarchies he was familiar with, but instead he chose a single memory from his childhood that weighed more than those mentioned prior - and that'd be the wedding of his own parents.

Do Papillion finally learned about his identity? He doubted it.

If he touched one of his hypothetical parents with Cataclysm, his hypothetical self in that timeline would cease to exist. His real self would not, however, but the impact of his actions on the distorted timeline would cause some undesirable guilt.

He knew the reason why he was brought there in the first place, and the only way to escape the realm was to destroy something...or someone there. Sadly, he couldn't.

Because even though these two people were not real, he couldn't fathom to kill the image of his own parents.

"I'm sorry," he muttered, more likely towards himself. "I can't do this."

He lowered his arm with a clenched fist. He was so screwed, with sheer regrets about succumbing to his weakness and interfering the course of events because he was a deprived child who terribly missed his mother.

Right now he was on the verge of creating his own paradox on that twisted dimension, and by doing so he could either save Ladybug or destroy himself.

His last resort was to run away.

.

.

.

.

Ladybug gave the spotted item a deadpan look.

"Sweet Jesus, Mary, and Joseph." she hollered. "All I ask is a hammer...and here you gave me a nail?!"

What the frick-frack am I supposed to do with this?! the heroine screamed mentally while dodging her stone-figured assailants. Use this to shut my own coffin?!

Her Lucky Charms were starting to become random that sometimes it would take her hours to utilize it. It was a challenge to her, and challenges often provoked her, but this time it made her extremely annoyed.

It took her ounce of will and patience to stop and concentrate on how to save herself using a piece of metal. She wasn't a type that would put herself in a situation without a concrete plan. But then, life has full of surprises.