Chapter 46

Adrien knew there was something more on the Sacred Castle by the Sea that meets the eye.

It wasn't because Mont St. Michel was acknowledged as a symbol of French national identity due to its unpenetrated fortress during wars or that it became a UNESCO World Heritage site for its medieval-aged structures and historical values.

It wasn't also because it was considered as one of the most romantic spots in France or that the island was popularly used as an inspiration in arts, novels, movies, and games.

It was because of the said holy place, which originally named as Monte Tombe, was actually a pilgrimage built by a saint who was a victim of Cataclysm.

"I can't believe that I'm currently standing on a religious land made by my predecessor's stupidity." the blond scowled at Plagg after he shared some snippets of the past. "And to think that you allowed your wielder - and I don't care if this Michael is an archangel or a poser anymore - to use his Miraculous against a human being!"

"You know that we kwamis are taking our Master's orders as absolute." the black kwami crossed his arms. "Besides, that Aubert deserved it. He was lucky he only got a hole in his skull - and he became famous because of it!"

"That was bad, Plagg. It's like premeditated murder. You shouldn't condone your Master's behavior." Marinette admonished. "I'm surprised the gods didn't smite you for hurting a bishop."

"I am a god, you self-righteous Bug. No other gods can smite me!"

"Oh yeah? Watch me." Tikki announced then hit her counterpart with her paw.

The three laughed when the kwami yowled in pains as he slipped at his charger's shirt with a growl.

The Poetic Night was a most sought activity in Abbey du Saint Michel that only occurs around July and August. It was an activity filled with aesthetic lights and live classical sounds displaying the mystical past of the monastery up to the current age.

The teenagers received an optional pass to join a tour with a guide but they decided not to since they preferred to explore and get lost in the old town.

Besides, their wanderlust attitudes would eventually kick them out from the group.

"I don't know why our friends wasted an opportunity to see these magnificent sights by themselves." the designer sighed, admiring the beautiful glass windows and puzzled mazes projected on the ancient walls. "In exchange for their ridiculous bets."

"Those greedy people. Why are we still considering them as our friends, Kitty?"

"Because despite their evil intentions, they just want us to be together," he kissed her wrinkled nose. "That's why we're going to enjoy our date to make them happy."

Her beet-red cheeks earned a mirthful laugh.

It was a bit arduous for tourists to climb multiple steps to the next chamber, but not for the part-time superheroes who reached the top casually without breaking a sweat.

They were astonished how the old bricked walls reverberated the sound of a cello as the musician played a solemn Bach piece under the dim light. The atmosphere was quite eerie in a good way and the swirls of lights in the background brought the music to life.

While admiring the animated Earth core pulsed some hot lava, an inspiration struck Marinette. It was one of those times wherein she wished she had her sketchbook with her to update her rough drafts for her next portfolio.

Then she heard a click.

"Kitty." she glared at the owner's phone camera aimed at her face. "Don't tell me you're sending that picture to Alya."