Chapter 44

Having a date with Adrien Agreste was one of Marinette's childhood fantasies.

She imagined herself meeting the teenage model at her doorsteps, clad in his crisped designer suit and a bouquet of roses that would greet her together with his sunshine smiles. He would fluster seeing her in a matching self-designed dress, and more when she thanked him with a kiss - that, if she didn't melt into a puddle of goo first before she met his emerald orbs.

Hundreds of gratuitous daydreams flashed in her scandalous mind throughout her early Lycèe years. May it be an ice cream date, a movie date, a picnic or a stroll in a park date, as long as Adrien accompanied her, she'll be happy.

But she never, for the life of her, ever imagined that it would happen eventually, and catastrophically.

Not only because Adrien was Chat Noir...

"Did I make you feel breathless?" a certain blond asked her, still donned in his feline suit.

"Breathless?" her voice hitched before she erupted. "It's more like suffocated!"

...but because her expectation exceeded her reality.

Marinette was so glad her knees didn't wobble as they safely landed on the ground. Thanks to that, she was able to deliver another fitful of blows to her offender.

"You were trying to plummet us to the ground!" the designer complaints only earned a chortle.

"But we didn't, Princess. In fact, you still looked regal as ever." he chided, somewhat pleased that he was still wearing his Miraculous uniform else she'll leave him bruised the next day.

He made sure that her hair will not be ruffled by the cold wind during their free fall, and somewhat satisfied that her dress remained unwrinkled. His action wasn't an over-the-top teasing - he simply did it to ease her nervousness.

He didn't expect that it'd be so exhilarating.

"Wipe that smug off, you mangy cat. I'm so mad at you right now!"

"Aww, Bugaboo." he chuckled again, but this time he reached out her hand to kiss it. "I'm also mad at you. Madly in love."

It was cheesy yet she blushed profusely on his line, and the sound of his delighted purr told her that her reaction was obvious in his night vision. Her stupid Kitty was so proud of his stoked ego.

Unfair, she grumbled mentally. Her heart was still overwhelmed by her two favorite boys being one at the same. And when he dropped his transformation, she knew she'd be a goner.

"Cat got your tongue, My Lady?"

Adrien was wearing his slicked blond hair with an apple green Polo that was slightly tucked in his designer jeans. A latest Gabriel leather belt and his short boots gave him a perfect casual look, and with his short-sleeved shirt, it displayed his well-ripped biceps. On his wrist, he tied her beaded lucky charm - the one that she gave to him when they were in collège - like a bracelet, and on his hand was a single red chrysanthemum.

In floriography, it means 'I love you.'

"Unfair," she grumbled audibly, unabashed on his blushed face. "Showing your dorky nature moments ago, then all of a sudden you flipped into this ridiculous Cat-sanova? Are you trying to give me a heart attack?"

"Can't blame a man for romancing his woman." he slipped the flower behind her ear. "Forgive me?"

"Isn't this...kinda direct?" she gulped with her anxious eyes focused on her sandals for a fear to meet his dejected face. "Li-like you...and me... and I understand that taking things slowly was not our forte. But - "