Chapter 37

Once her charger frantically secured the toilet's lock, Tikki flew out from the purse with a concerned expression.

"What's wrong - "

"Chat Noir is Adrien!" Marinette began as she gesticulated. "And Adrien is Chat Noir!"

The red kwami only tilted her head sideways as if it was a question.

The designer's arms suddenly dropped, deflated. "You don't believe me, do you?"

"I neither confirmed nor denied that," Tikki replied with a sigh. "We kwamis vowed not to disclose our respective wielders' identities for certain reasons, and just let your fates do the judgment."

"So my dreams were nothing but - "

"I don't have a clue, Marinette. I'm sorry." the kwami shook her head, then shrugged. "But then, there are lots of unexplained things that occurred in this world that even I, as a god, don't have the answer."

Her charger leaned towards the sink and gripped its edges woefully.

It wasn't unusual for Marinette to have lengthy dreams about akumas and even reckoned that Twiddle Gain and Twiddle Doom were products of her wild imagination.

At first.

But for some unknown reasons, she pushed her logical mind away and followed the hunch of her heart instead. Transforming as Ladybug, she hurriedly ran towards the park, then waited for someone's akumatization.

No one showed up.

Her heart sank plaintively, and more when she realized the time.

Hence the reason why she was almost late for the field trip assembly and about to be left behind.

"I'm surprised when you suddenly called me the first thing you woke up this morning." Tikki continued as she pawed her charger's cheek. "Your nightmares must've got you again."

"It wasn't a nightmare." the girl protested then squeezed her eyes shut. "It was...an elusive dream."

Because there it was revealed that her partner and her childhood crush were one at the same.

"Is it bad if Chat Noir is actually Adrien?"

"Of course not," she answered with certainty. "In fact, everything will make sense now. The struttings, the puns, the physical structure...gosh Tikki, he's just right there in front of me!"

"You weren't actively searching for him, that's why." she bemused, which earned a crestfallen face.

"Does that mean I don't know my partner that well?"

"You know that there are thousands of boys in Paris who has the same physique and personality as Chat Noir, right?"

"But not his bravery." the designer winced. "Or his puns."

Marinette suddenly realized that she explicitly admitted that Adrien's jokes were incorrigible.

"But why elusive?" Tikki asked her again.

"Because in my dreams he accepted me for who I am." was her solemn reply. "Chat Noir and Adrien adore Ladybug, and if those boys are indeed the same person, who later on learned that I'm the one behind the Parisian superheroine then...I don't know. I can't bear to lose them, Tikki."

"Do you think he's really a shallow person? That he won't like you for being you? Disappointed of you?" the kwami yawped at her incredulously. "Marinette, you deserve better than him if that's the case."

"He's not like that. Adrien's not a shallow person." she defended with crossed arms. "It's just that in my dreams...it confuses me. I saw two akumas there, and then I'm with Adrien who turned out to be Chat...and then, he told me - he told me that he loved me."