Chapter 10 - Top Dog

Patience woke alone, again.  The sheet was still warm as she spread her fingers out over the indent.  She wondered when he left.  She knew that he had to avoid Loyal finding out but it would be really nice to wake up in his arms. 

Patience laughed softly to herself.  What was she thinking?  He was only using her bed as a sleeping place and he was just a guy.  Of course he was going to cuddle up to her given the opportunity.  The fact he didn’t press her for anything more than that was proof that he didn’t like her ‘in-that-way’. 

This was just a silly crush.

The sun was peeking over the horizon when Patience entered the kitchen to start the chores.

“Serenity?” Patience froze in shock.

Serenity lifted her eyes from her coffee cup and sighed deeply.

“Are you alright?”

“Edwards gone out, he went for a run or to hunt or whatever vampires do,” Serenity mumbled, “I told him not to bite any of my friends, or just to be safe, any humans.”

“What’s wrong Serenity?”

“I thought this would be so simple.  I suppose I should have expected it, after all I am beautiful,” She shrugged like this was a universally known fact, “All the guys want me.  Well, other than your Edward but that’s understandable, he’s dead and really dull.  You know it’s not too late Bella to go with the other guy - if nothing else he has a much better body!”

“Serenity...” Patience grimaced.

“Hang on!  This is about me, not you!  Let’s not get distracted by your pathetic life.  Ohh Bella, what am I going to do?” Serenity fanned her face with her cupped hand as her eyes moistened up.

“I’m not Bel...” Patience started but then gave up, “What happened Serenity?”

“This has never happened in any of the books.  Sure you get the books telling me what to do if your mate rejects you,” She scoffed a ‘Char’ sound, “As if I would need those!  But there is nothing on wattpad to tell me what to do with more than one mate.  I don’t know what to do?”  Serenity frowned and shrugged.  “Bella, you had two men in love with you and you totally stuffed it up.  So maybe you could give me some pointers on what not to do?”

“Serenity did you consider that this might mean that you aren’t a werewolf?  If this has never happened before isn’t it possible that this means you are just a human and that they are just guys with too much static electricity?”

“Bella, you are so funny!  It just means I am special.  Maybe there is a prophecy!  Maybe I am some sort of Princess or Heir to something huge.”

Patience groaned and rolled her eyes.  She started unloading the dishwasher as Serenity sat on the bench top.

“But how do I know which one is my real mate?”

“Why do you want a mate Serenity?  Why do you want to be a smelly, hairy dog?  I mean in all of the books they aren’t party goers.  They live in the woods and don’t socialise.  Serenity you hate the outdoors, all the bugs and the creepy crawlies, and there’s lots of dirt.”

“What would a princess do?” Serenity ‘s eyes were glazed over.

“Then approximately once a month you would sprout hair in places you can’t image, bay at the moon and eat raw meat.  And you think your period sucks, that’s got to be a hundred times more uncomfortable and embarrassing!”

Suddenly she turned to me and flapped her hands around while squealing, “A test!  A challenge of elimination!  One night with Serenity!  Of course!”