Chapter 28 - The Bad Guys Wear Pink...

Patience was stiff when she awoke, she’d been asleep for such a long time.  She’d struggled through the door of Josh’s house, made it up the stairs only to do a swan drive on to his bed falling asleep before her head hit the covers.  She stretched and found herself alone in the bed.  Jakes words followed her into the shower and the water didn’t seem to drown them out.  She couldn’t afford to let him distract her today.  There was something she needed to do. 

“We need to go,” she said as soon as she found Josh and Loyal in the kitchen eating.

They looked up in surprise, “Go where?”

“Josh, we are going to be followed.  If I know Jake he’s going to have a tail on us.  How good are you at shaking a tail?”

“I’m the original dog, I can shake a tail better than most!” he laughed as he picked up his phone and placed a call.

“Nothing over the top, and nothing that will send me back to prison Josh,” Patience frowned.

“What’s this all about Patience?” Loyal asked.

“There’s someone we need to talk to.”

Loyal’s eyebrows went skyward but he didn’t say anything.  Patience was already heading for the garage and Josh and Loyal hurried to catch up.  She got into the backseat of Josh’s car letting the Loyal sit shotgun with Josh driving.  They weren’t far down the road when she saw the car behind them.  Josh smiled at her in the rear vision mirror.  They pulled into a busy shopping mall and quickly merged into the crowds, Patience could see a man jump out of the car but the other man was still looking for a park.  They fought their way through the sales making several sharp turns and picking up a change of outfits, sunglasses and hats.  When they left the far exit of the mall Josh pressed a remote and a blue suburban blinked its lights at him.  Someone must have passed the keys to him while they were battling the shoppers.

They climbed in and left without any sign of the dark car with tinted windows or the man who had followed them. 

“Where too?” Josh asked.

“The park around the corner from our house,” Patience crossed her fingers and hoped that she was wrong about this.

“What’s going on Patience?”

“I think I know where Serenity is. Remember when we were little Loyal?  Do you remember where she would go hide whenever she was upset?  Do you remember how she tunnelled a secret passage through the neighbours weeds so she could disappear?”

“You think she’s been hiding there?  All this time?”

“Remember the first time?  It took us a week to find her.  She’s good at hiding.  She’s always been good at hiding.”

They parked at entrance and got out of the car, the street was deserted.  It was a large park with flower gardens, kids playground, fountains, and lots of large trees.  It was very beautiful.  Patience set off like a woman on a mission, the boys trailing behind her.  It took about half an hour to find the right tree.  It looked just like any other tree in the park but Patience knew differently.

“Serenity, come down Serenity.”

“Shouldn’t you be saying something like - ‘Serenity let down your golden hair so we might climb into your tower an rescue you from the wicked witch’?” Josh smiled at Patience before his eyes turned back to the tree, “Knowing Serenity that would work better than reasoning with her.”

“Serenity,” Patience called up again, “We know you are in there.”

“We came alone, no bad guys, no cackling witches, no dragons, just us - your knights in faded denim!” Josh laughed again.