3.

*unedited*

Athena Kelly

When we got home, my dad was on the couch sleeping. With the position he was in, it was safe to assume he had fallem asleep while watching something on tv. The news was on now though. I doubt thats what he was watching. He hated the news.

"Want me to help you cook?" I asked walking into the kitchen where my mom was.

She waved me off. "No but I do need you to drop the rent off at the office" she reached in her purse and handed me an envelope. I slipped on some slides that were by the door and headed out. I wasnt sure who's shoes I was wearing. They probably were Amaru's but I didnt care.

I made my way downstairs. The office was basically just an apartment that the owners had made into an office. I dropped the envelope into the drop box and started on my way back to our apartment.

As my foot hit the first step to go up, a red camaro swerved and parked in the spot right in front of where I was. I frowned, coughing at all the dirt whoever it was had managed to send flying my way. I looked back and to my surprise, Amaru emerged from the passenger seat.

Wasnt she supposed to be at home? I looked at her crazy. She was supposed to be watching dad but instead, she was out hanging with a reckless driver.

"Dont say shit to me" she mugged walking past me. I ignored her as I caught sight of a guy in the drivers seat. I was pretty sure the man was well over high school age. He eyed me before pulling out of the parking spot.

I huffed and caught up with Amaru. "What are you doing?" I asked her.

She turned around and glared at me. "Minding my damn business like you should."

"Who was that guy?"

"Leave me alone" she mumbled.

"Mama thinks you're in your room. Good luck explaining to her where you've been." She was always doing stupid things. I wouldnt be surprised if she was dating the grown man that was in that car.

"No need. Besides, i'm coming back in with you" she smiled.

"I had a reason to come out here."

"So did I. And you'll go along with whatever I come up with."

"What makes you think i'll do that?"

"Athena, I never get in trouble. You think they'll believe I lied?"

I thought about what she said. She was right.

I scoffed "You are such a liar."

"Who fucking cares? At least people like me" she mumbled with attitude as we walked in the house. I ignored her insult with a roll of my eyes and went to my room. We always argued so it was nothing new.

I sat on the floor and grabbed my books to start my homework. I might be super smart, but procrastination is my downfall. I will wait until the last minute to do all my work. After a while, I heard yelling outside my door, letting me know that mama knew Amaru wasnt in her room.

To avoid getting dragged into the argument, I decided to save my homework for later and take a nap. It was much better than lying for Amaru.