10. prosecution

Rumours are vicious and dangerous things

Rumours are vicious and dangerous things. I've come to this realisation by the end of first period. After sitting beside Stephanie who had her phone glued to her hand -as we had a substitute- she was talking to her gossip best friend Molly. Yes, the same one Ella gets her juice from and I knew what their topic conversation was about.

The brutality of mine and Grayson's relationship.

From how we could've met, how long we've been dating, if its just a hook up thing or prediction for future marriage. All of this is giving me a headache and sort of makes me want to scream out in frustration. It's my private life, not something to be broadcast even if its not real.

The bell signalling lunch couldn't have come sooner as I flee from mathematics to a much needed escape. Except its not even an escape, more like a sad excuse for me to be stared at by every female that passes me in the cafeteria. Think of it like an animal exhibited in a zoo, that's how I feel at the moment and I don't like their peering eyes.

I dump my bag and folder onto the table, instantly searching for my earphones in my bag. The cafeteria is filled with loud chatter already that I want to tune out and block out by blasting Justin Bieber through my ears. I don't get to enjoy Sorry for long before the headpiece is being yanked from my ear and a body slides beside me. My eyes widen as Grayson sits down with his legs either side of the seat facing me.

"Come sit with me and my friends," His hands drum on the plastic bench as I stare at him. "You're being stared at, judged and probably prosecuted by majority of the school right now." He chuckles and I quickly look around, watching most people turn around with hushed whispers as if they weren't staring already. Idiots.

"People thrive off of gossip, it's kind of sickening." I mumble, looking back to him with a frown. "Besides I don't think meeting your friends is necessarily a great idea."

"You've already met Josh. What's three more?" I narrow my eyes at him, he pokes his tongue out of me before standing up. "Up you get. Let's go."

"I'm not going-" He grabs my folder and bag, walking away before I can swat at him. Coaxing me with a finger I grit my teeth at his actions. "Wow. You are actually such a bully." I reluctantly get up and follow him over to his table.

Approaching the table I feel a little bit sick, how am I going to deal with this? I don't think I should sit with him or even his friends because isn't that too soon for the relationship. But as far as they know we've been dating for three months and dedicated to one another solely. Keep it in mind, remember the back story.

He places my things down beside a tray and two heads snap up on instinct. Both of them have midnight black hair and similar facial features, they actually look a like. With the only difference being one has blue eyes covered with glasses and the other has dark brown wearing a beanie. I slowly sit down and glance to Grayson for what would be help.

He picks up a few fries and shoves them in his mouth before looking at me. The movement of his jaw stops before he grabs his napkin, wiping his hands while chewing the rest of his food. My eyes stay on his jaw, noticing the strong outline and how it moves. Wow. I never- okay, stop yourself right there.

He's blackmailing you, you can't find him attractive.

Well, he is. Even if I don't want to admit it. Grayson is attractive and it's obvious that majority of the female population find that so. He looks over at me as he swallows forcing his adam's apple to bob. I look away noticing one side of his lips tugging up in a smile.

"Guys this is Aria Mitchell, babe this is Parker and Phillip Donald. And yes they're twins," I wave awkwardly and the twins look at each other. Parker smirks and turns to me.

"Aria, you're quite pretty. Are you sure that you want to be with Grayson and not me?" He winks and I raise an eyebrow at the brown eyed boy.

"Unlike you I'm not a player," Grayson rolls his eyes but Parker doesn't look away from me. "She has higher standards then that."

"He's right. I don't like fuckboys," Sucking my lips in I lean back into the seat. A snort comes from Phillip as he gets shoved by his twin. Grayson grins at me and I shrug. "Sorry that was rude."

"Its cool. I was just testing to see if there was any chance you were a cheater. Obviously you aren't," This time Phillip nudges him mouthing an all too familiar name to him. "Wait, really? You dated-" The look I give him was enough to shut him up as he nods looking to Grayson.

"What? Is there something I don't know." He jokes and I feel my palms sweat slightly. In that moment I realise he really has no idea of my ex. He probably knows what happened but not who the girl was.

"Uh nothing that's a concern." For the first time Phillip speaks and gives me a sympathetic smile. "I'm sorry about my twit of a brother, he has no filter. You're in my English classes aren't you?"

"Twit? Who are you-"

"It isn't like you can deny being a twit. So shut up." They bicker and Parker rolls his eyes, slouching back. "We have Mrs King for Advanced then Mr for Extension. Right?" I nod, smiling slightly.

"I never really take notice to anything in those classes except the content." He shrugs and smiles.

"And that would explain why you're top of both classes. Maybe you could help me sometime with the damn creative writing prompts." I feel my foot get nudged and I glance to Grayson noticing a look of impression on his face.

"You're coming top of your class in English?" I nod, looking away out of habit. "I never realised you were so smart." He elbows me lightly and I can tell that's meant to be cute to his friends. I shove him lightly with a roll of my eyes. 

"Sup loser- oh hey! Aria right?" Someone sinks beside me and I look at Joshua.

"Hi." I nod, he smiles and nods back.

Another guy comes to the table, wearing the schools representative shirt just like Josh. I know training is Tuesday during lunches as well as Thursday after school, its the days where I usually need to get a ride from Ella. The guy on the end beside Grayson devours into his food and waves to me. He looks familiar.

"You already know Joshua. But this is Eli Manning, meet Aria Mitchell." My heart stops and I almost fall off my chair. No, freaking, way. He seems to freeze for a moment at my name before putting his food down.

"Hello Aria. Nice to meet you." I can feel my palms sweating as I stare at Eli. Or more exactly my ex boyfriends old friend. The same one that used to be used as a cover up when he was at another girls house.

The fact his pretending not to know me is a good thing and hopefully it won't be a problem. Eli looks at me, giving me a slight smile which I just look away grasping onto my phone when suddenly it lights up with Ella's contact. It buzzes a few times and I notice Josh leaning slightly but smiles then looks away to Parker as he comments on this girl he's interested in hooking up with.

"Hello," I answer, sinking down when people stare at me.

"Don't hello me. Get your ass over here, I see you sitting there." Sitting up I look around noticing Ella standing in the door way with wide eyes.

"Just come over here. Its the middle of lunch." I mumble furrowing my eyebrows. Grayson places an arm on the back of my seat making me glance at him. His eyes flicker beside me and I notice Joshua looking over his shoulder with tinted cheeks.

"No. We need to talk about you and your boyfriend."

"Stop being a stubborn ass. They don't bite," I mumble and hear her sigh. "I still need to ask you a question as well. 5 minutes then we'll leave, okay?"

"I, I, I'll just wait over here.." She hangs up and I furrow my eyebrows, glancing at Josh.

"Uh. I need to go.." I trail off, noticing Grayson engrossed in a video being shown by Eli. "Grayson." I kick his ankle, harder then intended making him hiss. He glares at me briefly but then remembers we aren't alone.

"What is it?" The tone is sharp and I notice everyone is staring at us.

"I've got to go talk to Ella so I'll talk to you later," I grab my things and stand up. Facing the guys I smile slightly. "It was nice meeting you all, sorry it had to be cut short." They all mumble things but I don't really listen, just patting Grayson's shoulder before walking away.

I make it across to Ella, who turns and heads out when I'm a few meters away. Huffing I jog to catch up with her, slowing down once she goes into the senior girls bathroom. I don't really get the point of having specific senior toilets but I guess its something to do with the vandalism in the other ones. Pushing open the door, I see Ella checking the stalls before putting her bag down.

"Alright. I want to know- when did you meet? How long has this been going on? How did he ask you out? Why haven't you told me?" She fires with a raised eyebrow at the end of it and leaning against the vanity.

"We wanted to see if it was going to work out before we told anyone. But after three months we decided to not be so sneaky, it's the reason why I was sitting with his friends today," I mumble, hoping she believes this whole mess of a story. "We've known each other for years but three months ago he asked me out when I was waiting for Aaron." I nervously look down, tugging at the sleeves of my cardigan.

"Then why did he yell at you in the halls?" She frowns and I run my tongue over my lips quickly.

"We got into a fight about deciding whether to tell people or not.." what the hell am I saying. "I didn't want to because of everything with Aaron hating his guts and I was worried you'd think I was-"

"I already know you're crazy so that's fine. I wouldn't have judged you at all, you two deserve to have a shot together. Besides its been a year, I wasn't going to ruin it for you." I nod and she smiles slightly. "I'm sorry."

"You don't-"

"Yeah I do. I let my overbearing protectiveness for you get in the way of you wanting to date someone. I just don't want to see you in tears, that's all it is." She smiles and I return it with a chuckle. "So what is the question you wanted to ask me?" Grinning I place my heavy folder down on the vanity.

"What's going on with you and Joshua?" Her eyes widen for a second and she flushes.

"Nothing. He's in my English class, we sit together because of a seating plan and-"

"And you have a crush on him?" I can't help the grin on my face at the moment as she bites her lip deciding on what to say. "Your secret is safe with me. Besides you were getting pretty cosy with him at that party I picked you up from." I swear, her cheeks are resembling tomatoes at the moment.

"Oh my god. Please don't remind me. He told me during English yesterday and I nearly died. You have no idea how close I was to jumping out the damn window," I chuckle and she sighs. "I was talking to him about hot but fluffy Michael Clifford is. Do you know how awkward that is? I was talking to him about another guy. " Laughing I shake my head and get swatted.

"I'm sorry but that's gold. Also what you get for being a fan of that awful band," She rolls her eyes and picks up her bag.

"Don't be jealous because you aren't punk rock."