40. truth and recordings

"Holy shit

"Holy shit. This can not be real," Ella whispers, I look across from her noticing the gobsmacked expression she has on while staring at the screen. "Heartbreakers is being shut down tomorrow."

"And that's a bad thing?" I ask, fiddling with my sandwich container rather than eating it. "It was just some stupid gossip website." She scoffs at my response, I raise an eyebrow as she takes a drink from her water bottle.

"Yeah. A gossip website that's saved me from dating a bunch of tools and potentially others. People can be so manipulative these days," I nod slowly, knowing this is for the best. "And I still don't know who the freaking creators are." She mumbles and I nervously bite the inside of my cheek.

"I don't think you would believe me if I told you," What was supposed to be a murmur makes her head snap up.

"You know? Who is it?" She smiles wickedly and I think about what I'm doing.

"Well. You're looking at her. . ." For a second she stares at me shaking her head with a laugh.

"Funny joke. I know you suck at com-"

"But Aaron doesn't."

She stares at the table for what feels like ages when it's realistically a minute before gasping. The palms of her hands smash down on the table while her face breaks out into a grin. For a second there I thought I was going to get killed by her, at least something has gone right for once.

"Wow. I never would have picked that, wait, was the site really hacked almost two months ago?" I nod, pulling on the sleeves of my jacket. "Who hacked it?" Biting on the inside of my cheek, I feel like I'm under interrogation.

"That's um, a different story altogether. It's how Grayson and I got together."

By the time I've explained everything to her, she looks so confused. Her eyes kept flickering over to Grayson whose probably caught on to her glances by now. We're sitting at our regular table – before all of this happened – mainly because I said briefly I wasn't talking to Grayson because of yesterday.

My head feels like it's about to explode and I'm glad I've finally been able to vent to someone whose opinion won't be bias. She just stares at me for a minute, shaking her head before sinking into her chair. I can tell she's in thought and I'm questioning whether I've just made a mistake or not. I told Aaron that I was telling Ella and he was fine with it.

Despite her being known for gossiping, she's shot down rumours about both of us before. She won't allow us to be targeted by them therefore she won't let this secret circulate. I spare a glance over my shoulder to peek at Grayson only to find him already staring at me while Parker tries to get his attention. Turning back I feel my heart pounding violently against my ribcage.