37. courage and carparks

"Aria can I speak to you for a moment?" Miss Millen asks, the class leaving the room slowly while I approach her

"Aria can I speak to you for a moment?" Miss Millen asks, the class leaving the room slowly while I approach her. "I just wanted to ask you if you would like to perform in an artistic showcase two weeks from today. . . it's a mixture of schools ranging in music, dance and acting." My eyes widen in shock, she gives me a smile while I gawk at her.

"Wait, seriously?" She nods, grabbing a paper from her folder and handing it over to me.

"You'll just need to get your mother's signature because of the content within your piece," I take it, staring at the permission slip. "But I have two spots to give away and I'd love for you to be one. If you're too nervous I understand-" I tune out, reading the note that immediately sparks a question.

"So every senior student from the schools mentioned are required to attend?" She nods and I run my tongue over my tongue.

"I'll, I should be able to do this. That's a lot of people," Almost a thousand. "I'll think about it." I fold the note in half, running my tongue over my teeth.

"You've got talent for acting. It would be a shame if it went to waste," Nodding my head I take a step back. "Oh and you're the only person in the class to get an A for this project. I'll see you next week."

Waving awkwardly I exit while folding the paper repeatedly at the crease. There would be five schools there watching, including my own. Thornton, McKinley, Henry Heights, Jackson and Kaiser High. It means almost – going of the amount in my year – eight hundred, maybe more students watching.

I stop folding as I approach Aaron's locker. However as he isn't there but Grayson is. I told him to wait for me and he wouldn't have left already, I was only a few minutes. I walk closer and Grayson pushes off his locker, giving a soft smile.

"Has Aaron left yet?" I ask, adjusting the strap on my bag.

"Uh no. He hasn't. I can wait with you if you like?" Nodding, I look down at the paper in my hands before moving my bag around to put it in. "What's that?"

"Um, I got asked to perform in a showcase and I need mom's permission because of the content," I pause, slipping it inside with a chuckle. "I honestly don't know what the hell I'm going to do, there's going to be four other schools and all seniors are being dragged there." He nods, smiling widely.

"You're talented. You could be an actress," I raise an eyebrow, his smile falters slightly and he frowns after that. "We need to talk about this – us – because I don't want it to just fade to away."

"Grayson I don't think-"

"Aria. Just stop using your brain for once," He snaps, a look of irritation that I know too well coming across his gorgeous features. "I get that you're afraid your just going to get hurt but trust me when I say I am nothing like Max or Jacob."

"I know you aren't like them – you've proven that," I bite my lip, going against what he just told me. "But is it really logical even bothering with us? I mean school ends in six weeks and then we've got college."

"Aren't you going to UCLA?" He asks and I shrug making him lick his lips. "As long as you stay in California we can work because the odds of me leaving aren't high. You don't need to worry about distance and I want to give us a shot."

"Why are you so persistent?" I snap, swallowing the lump in my throat. "You don't make any sense to me. One minute you hate me, you're trying to make Aaron angry, you cling to me and the next you don't want anything to do with me. I just don't want to deal with all your mood swings. I need to know straight up if you like me because-"

I stumble back at the sudden force of his lips on mine, the hand around the back of my neck keeping me from breaking away. My hand presses to his chest in order to push him away, except my fingers curl around his tee shirt holding him close. I can feel myself getting lost in the kiss.

The way they feel against mine, the surprising sweet taste they give and how I can smell the deodorant he's wearing. It's alluring and driving me to the brink of insanity. He's alluring despite the risk that I'm going to get hurt but maybe it's worth it.

I finally have the courage to push him back, taking air into my oxygen deprived lungs. Think. I'm not using my heart because the erratic pounding from below my ribcage is screaming at me to pull him closer to me again. But my brain is overpowering everything and shutting down the feelings I'm fighting out of pure logic.

I'm torn between my head and heart, one thing both have in common is they're clouded with Grayson. And that is a disaster waiting to happen.

I hold up my finger, swiping my tongue over my lips. His lips an a shade darker and I find mine craving to kiss them. My eyes close as I calm myself down and I didn't expect him to slip his fingers through my hand that's up in the air. I find myself needing space so I clear my throat to speak.

"No," I scold, pushing gently at his chest and trying to get my hand from his grip. He's grinning at my attempt, clearly finding it amusing as I pout. "Stop. Just please, let go." After another five seconds my hand is free and I take several steps back to create some distance.

"I didn't realise I had that affect on you," Grayson's lip twitches and I narrow my eyes.

"You know well enough what affect you have on me," Biting my lip I shake my limbs out while he chuckles. "You cloud my judgement. This whole thing started out as blackmail but now we have feelings for each other? Do you know how crazy that sounds?" I ask, he nods slowly and his hands slip into his jeans pockets.

"Life is crazy and you should know that better than anybody," He shrugs. "So what, you don't want to give us a shot? You just want to let some unorthodox beginning stop-"

"You have got to promise me you won't rile Aaron up, I know you two hate each other strongly but I don't want to be the one being torn in two over this." He bites his lip, looking over my shoulder. "Gray. . ." I trail off, he nods and gives a gentle smile.

"I promise if you don't push me away when you're scared," Pursing my lips I nod, unsure if I'll be able to keep that promise. "Great. So now would be a good time to tell you Aaron already left because I told him we had plans this afternoon." My smile slips and I scoff, pushing his shoulder.

"You ass! You could have told me that earlier-"

"I could have but you would have just walked away and I wouldn't be able to call you my girlfriend," He grins and I cross my arms over my chest. I try to fight of the smile as he crouches down to my height with a pout, blinking slowly at me. "Aria, you can't stay mad at me can you?" He drags out, I roll my eyes leaning forward and pecking his lips.

"Don't pout. You'll be stuck if you do it too much," I tease as he raises an eyebrow and stands back up, starting to walk towards the car park. "I'm guessing you would be taking me home?" He nods, smiling down at me.

"Yep. I've got some ideas that I want to run past you, mainly about the whole revenge thing on your ex and Jac-" He stops, I do the same as I spot a bunch of Kaiser High people hanging around two cars. "What the hell are they doing here?"

The car park has basically cleared out apart from those two cars, Grayson's, the twin's truck and surprisingly Aaron's. I glance to Grayson, walking quickly out of the school grounds and towards the group. They're in conversation, more so snarling between themselves. I put my hand on Phillip's shoulder hearing a snicker.

"Ah! Just who we were waiting for," I look at Max who's grinning. For some reason Phillip tries to pull me back but I shrug his hand off my arm.

"This isn't your school. Why the hell are you here?"

"Grew a backbone I see." He pushes off his car, which makes the boys back up a step. "I want to talk to you without your bodyguards present."

"No way-"

"Fine," I snap cutting off Aaron. His glare is burning into the side of my head but I don't care at the moment. "But same goes for you. "

He steps towards me and I notice Aaron put his arm out to stop Grayson from latching onto me. I bite the inside of my cheek, giving him a nod that I'll be fine. Max starts to walk past me and I reluctantly follow him about ten meters away from them and out of earshot.

"I saw what you did to Jacob," He chuckles and I raise an eyebrow waiting for him to get to the point. His eyes flicker down to my hand and I realise he's checking the damage. The movement makes me slip it into the pocket of my shorts at the somewhat violating feeling. "I really didn't think you would be capable of hitting someone considering your past." My heart hammers against my ribcage, narrowing my eyes.

He's trying to play with me and get a reaction. I scoff, looking over at the guys who are surprisingly watching on. The Kaiser guys just look amused by this and I'm about to turn back to the jerk in front of me when something catches my eye. A movement from the back of one of their cars.

The windows are tinted to hide their identity but that sparks questions through me. Why wouldn't they be out here with the rest of his pals? I slowly trail my eyes back to Max who takes a step forward, towering over me but the sinister look spreading across his face is enough for me to catch on.

"Why did you come back?" I ask stepping back subtly. "I heard it's because you're obsessed with me." Now it's my turn to smirk as his eyes flicker for a second at my response.

I'm smarter than you.

"Trust me. I am not obsessed with you," He chuckles and removes his hands from his jeans. "However, I do have to say you certainly have filled out in over a year." This was louder and intended to be heard by the guys.

I'm quick to take a few steps in their direction, widening my eyes to Aaron who is clenching his jaw. Don't do it. Spinning around I throw my arms up, knowing that there is only one alternative to this. Sorry Aaron.

"Yeah I have but I'm not yours anymore. I found someone who is better than you in all departments." I nod my head downwards, hearing a snicker from behind me. "Especially that one. Have you learned to use it properly yet?"

His smirk slips completely and I shrug, smiling sweetly. I spin around walking towards them, noticing Parker and Phillip trying not to laugh. Whereas Aaron is staring down Grayson, whose eyes are fixated on me. They flicker behind me for a second and I use that moment to wrap my arms around his neck, leaning up I disguise it as a kiss to his neck.

"They're filming." I whisper and he brings an arm around my waist when I hear laughter.

"So it is true then – you're dating Grayson Jones." Max laughs, I narrow my eyes spinning around.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Grayson's arms wrap around me as I step forward, I look over my shoulder to get mouthed 'don't'.

"I just find it interesting considering his and Aaron's past," He stifles a laugh and shakes his head. "Oh well. At least I know who influenced your smart mouth now because he certainly has a big one on him."

"I didn't realise you were looking there in the locker rooms but thank you! From what I've heard yours is actually quite small."

I look over my shoulder at Grayson who smirks at Max. There's a glint in his eyes that I've seen from one of the many times he's tried to piss Aaron off. I look back seeing Max walking closer with his fists clenched, he can dish it out but can't take it. Isn't that funny.

"I would stop whatever you're thinking about doing. You'll shoot yourself in your own foot with the guy in the back filming," I raise an eyebrow which makes him stop, tapping Grayson's hands I lace our fingers together. "Let's get out of here."

Max's eyes flicker between mine and his before a sinister smirk forms on his lips. I narrow my eyes, registering the look while Grayson guides me over to his car. Something isn't right. I know him well enough. He would be infuriated if I spoke like that to him normally which leaves me with a possible three conclusions.

The first is he's actually gay for Grayson which I doubt.

Secondly, he said what he needed to say and had no use for tormenting us anymore.

Lastly and the safest bet, he's planning something wicked that's going to cause nothing but chaos.

Give me a break please.