Chapter 1

Chapter 1:
Some people dream of a moment like this; an open road with a sunset kissing my skin, sat in a beat up Chevy with a roaring engine with my boyfriends arm slung over my shoulder. But my heart's not beating from his touch but of what we're running from. What happened in the past that resulted in us running from the sleepy town we found each other in. His jaw clenched and the speed we're traveling at was making me shake. I know ill never see that town again, and the future has never been as unclear as it is now. I tied my hair up messily an hour back when the heat became too much and worry made my neck clammy. But I had to toughen up, grow thicker skin now I had no other choice.
"What's that sign say?" His thick voice growls out and I look to my left to read the road sign passing us.
"El Paso 78 miles" I respond as he starts to drag his fingers through my messy ponytail. "JP said this house is 10 miles from the boarder, we'll probably get there before morning" he says more to himself as he retreats his hand and starts fumbling with a cigarette. "There's about 8 guys livin' in this place, so when we get there you keep your mouth shut, got it? We don't need more people on our case" he mumbles as he takes a drag of his cigarette which is tiny in contrast to his huge tattoo covered hands. He looks over at me with his blue eyes and I can feel him studying me.
"Come on Mila, we're livin' the American dream now baby" he chuckles out as his hand roughly rubs the base of my neck. His newly tanned skin made his teeth look like pearls and his dark hair shone in the sun. He wasn't the boy who annoyed me until I went out with him when we were 15 years old anymore; he was a man capable of dangerous things. But I didn't listen when my friends told me he was bad news, I didn't need friends when I had him. I didn't listen when mami told me he was like my father and I'd end up heartbroken like her, she didn't even know him.
"I got to help JP's cousin for a month or two with stuff, but once we're finished we hop town with the boys and find somewhere else for a while" he continues and my eyebrows crease in confusion.
"What kind of stuff Mac?" I say, unfortunately it comes out more nervous than I intended.
"Jesus Mila you know what kind of stuff, if you can't take this shit ill pull over and dump you righ-"
"No-no I'm fine Mac honest, I'm just worried about you that's all" I say calmly and I see him clench his jaw again.
"Well don't, ain't no reason to be." He starts before he takes exhales some smoke out of his mouth. "You just keep your pretty mouth shut and ill do the dirty work"
With that came silence and I turned to look out the window beside me. Land stretched for miles and miles everywhere around us and silently hoped somewhere miles and miles away I could find a place I felt safe.
__________________
His loud voice rips me out of sleep at what felt like the second I fell into it. "Mila wake up"
"Holy shit Mac how drugged up is this chick?" I hear a deep voice laugh.
"She's just being a lazy bitch" Mac mumbles and I force myself to sit up. We've arrived at some kind of mansion; when Mac said it was a house I expected to be sleeping on the floor of a garage for the next two months but this was incredible. I look around and notice there isn't another house in sight, high walls frame the grounds of this place and metal gates sit protectively at the end of the drive with security guards to match.
"Babe get up, we have to move" Mac says from outside the car and I quickly get out and try to make myself presentable. I should have wore something better than ripped denim shorts and a tank top but Mac didnt even let me pack probably. He shoved whatever clothes he could find into a bag and before I knew it we were on the highway.
Im snapped out of my thoughts when he and a lanky looking guy start walking towards the house, to which I scurry along behind. The tall doors were opened by security and we're lead into a foyer bigger than my living room back home. Everything was top of the line and I suddenly felt out of place. The boys talked in hushed tones and I felt even more isolated when I'm clearly just extra baggage for Mac.
"Camila" Mac snaps and I look over to him.
"JP and Hank need me for a while, will you stay here and unpack?" He asks and I nod in reply. He throws me the keys and I can see the guy who we walked in here with eying me like in a piece of meat. "JP's sister is around here somewhere too" he starts while raking my body with his eyes. He chuckles and winks at me. "Have fun" he says before him and Mac turn to walk out the door, leaving me alone.
I gather myself and walk out to the car, grab our bags and walk back into the house but drop them in surprise when I see her at the top of the stairs. Her green eyes were piercing even from such a distance, her hair messy but by no means faulted as it cascaded down her front with ease. Her skin was glowing from the obvious exposure to the sun of the daytime and her perfectly sculpted face was blank of expression. She was unbelievably gorgeous.
"Eh-hello" I say as calmly as possible. She doesn't respond at all to me, and after a minute of her just looking at me she turns and walks away, getting lost in this huge house. I stand there and try to make sense of what just happened; it's obvious she doesn't want any form of communication with me. A spark of disappointment snaps me in as I realise the only possibility of a friend in this house was fleeting, if not dormant.
I picked up the bags I dropped on the floor, drag them up the stairs and into a bedroom that looks unused. Once I'd put most of what we brought away I flopped down on the huge bed and let my aching bones sink into the softness. I knew there will be more nights like this where I'm left alone, but there's nothing else for me in this world. I'm not worth enough to go to college, or to have a family or do any of the things my friends will be doing in years to come. This was always going to be my future, one way or another. I let myself fall into a slumber to prevent myself from over thinking where I've ended up.
Hours later I'm woken by loud fumbling and curses as I look up to see Mac stumbling through the door of the bedroom.
"Damn it Mila you couldn't have picked a room easier to fucking get to" he slurs and I know in a second he's drunk. He strips until he's in just his boxers, tattoos exposed and slides into bed next to me. He rubs his hands over his face and lets out a grumble.
"So how was it?" I ask softly and he sighs.
"Good..they're funny boys, apart from a few shifty ones but that's okay. I had fun" he mumbles and he tries to get comfy.
"I eh-i bumped into a girl, I think she's JP's sister" I whisper and he finally stops fidgeting.
"Jesus yeah, they were talking about her. Green eyes?" He asks and I nod in response.
"Apparently she's a physco. She doesn't talk, like at all. But she's more dangerous that way, she fucks with your mind with those creepy eyes. I wouldn't look at her twice..Crazy bitch" he mumbles out before his eyes close. I don't respond as I try to process what he's just said. Dangerous; she didn't seem dangerous when she was looking at me. I mean, she was intimidating but I wouldn't say dangerous.
"What's her name?" I ask quietly but my questions cut off by Macs loud snore from beside me. I guess ill find out soon enough.