Chapter 15

Chapter 15:
I stay in bed staring at the blank white wall thinking about what's going to happen in the next three days. Was she going to try something? She probably would; but I can't let her do anything until she's single and I'm single. I'm not starting another toxic relationship,i I rushed things with Mac and where did that leave me? Yet she was nothing like Mac at all...
I was snapped out of my thoughts as I heard a loud crash from the other side of the apartment. I sighed and got out of the bed before slipping out onto the corridor and plodding out to the kitchen.
Lauren stood in the middle of the room with pots and pans scattered around her on the ground and her hands tugging the roots of her hair looking frustrated.
"Laur?" I ask softly and she looks up to see me. Her face falls further and her gaze travels to the floor.
"I just wanted to make you breakfast" she mumbled before letting out a huge sigh. I melt at the sight of her looking so discouraged over not being able to simply make me breakfast in bed. Start to pick up the pots and pans, putting them away besides the pan and placing it on the stove.
"Can you make pancake batter?" I ask softly as I uncross her arms she had defensively crossed in front of her and lift her chin up so she's looking at me as her scowl drops. "Hmm mm" she mumbles grumpily and I smile.
"We can do it together" I whisper as I tangle out fingers. She smiles and brings my hand up to her lips before kissing it softly and beaming at me.
"Good morning gorgeous" she breathes out as we don't move from our close position in the middle of the kitchen.
"Hello there" I whisper back as her eyes bore into mine. Her eyes snake down my face to stare at my lips then travel back up to my eyes; I knew she wanted to kiss me, and I wanted to kiss her too. But she knew what I needed before that could happen, and the fact she respected that so much made me fall even harder for her.
Time seemed to stop as I stared into her eyes, the crashing of the thunder and rain outside was silent, the ticking of the clock stopped and the hum of the radio playing in the background faded away as we stayed close in the centre of her small kitchen.
But I sudden ripple of lightening caused me to jump and our bubble was popped. I brushed it off and turned to start on the pancake mix. I felt her eyes burn a hole into the back of my head as I moved around the kitchen, not wanting to turn around and get sucked back into her eyes.
15 minutes later I was making the forth pancake as she continued to stare at me. I wasn't sure if her gaze made me uncomfortable or feel adored but either way she wasn't stopping anytime soon.
"Do you have to stare?" I ask breaking the silence and I hear her move behind me and her body heat on my back.
"This is nice" she says softly, brushing off my question. She snakes her arms around my waist and rests her chin on my shoulder as the butterflies go crazy in my stomach over her touch.
"What is?" I ask quietly as the pancake lightly sizzles in the pan.
"You and I, cooking in our kitchen" she says into my shoulder.
"It's not our kitchen" I say reflexively to which she pulls me closer.
"Do you want it to be?" She asks gently to which I sigh. Of course I do. I want this to be our kitchen and her bed to be our bed. I want the song drifting through the radio to be our song and the love I have for her to be our love, yet we had to share with Normani and Sam and everyone else who trampled through.
"A lot" I finally answer against my better judgment.
"Then it's ours" she says gently after a minute of silence and I take one of her hands off my stomach and put my hand over the back of hers. She got the idea and we finished making the pancakes together as the pitter patter of the rain filled the comfortable silence.
____________________
"Seriously? You haven't seen Lady and The Trap?" I ask in disbelief. She stood beside the TV trying to work the Netflix as I sat in a pile of duvets and cushions waiting for her to come back.
"It was never on the top of my To Do list I suppose" she says vaguely, preoccupied with the many pieces of electronic devices hooked up to the TV.
"We're watching it, no questions" I squeal excited to watch my favourite movie. I watch the smile creep onto her face as she keeps her eyes on whatever she was doing. She finally got it to work and came back to the sofa and sat beside me. The lights were off and the sky outside didnt give any light due to the huge storm clouds, so even though it was only 4 in the afternoon, it felt like nighttime. The light from the screen hit her face making the breath I was inhaling to hitch in my throat. She really was unbelievably beautiful. She wiggled around trying to get comfortable until she let out a sigh and stood up.
"Come on" she says holding both her hands out for me to take.
"What are you doing?" I ask softly as I take her hands, the contact making me feel like my skin was tingling.
"making a fort" she says before her eyebrows crease in concentration. She takes my hand and leads me over to the armchair and sits me down before kissing my forehead and whispering a quick "stay here" before turning and setting to work. 20 minutes later she's made a huge fort of cushions and duvets and I giggle every time she mumbles to herself.
"Okay, I think I'm finished" she says to herself and I get up and walk over to her, wrapping my arms around her neck.
"It's lovely" I say softly looking into her green eyes.
"You're lovely" she whispers and I try to hold in a smile but I fail terribly. Her hand slowly comes up to my lips and traces the curve of my bottom lip softly.
"I want to so bad" she says, her eyes glued to where her fingers were gliding. She finally looks me in the eyes and brings her lips to my forehead, placing a long kiss before peppering sweet little kisses there too. I take her hand and pull her into the fort, both of us falling into each other as we get in. I couldn't stop laughing as I felt around with my hands to find her since it was so dark. My hand comes into contact with her face and I fall back with laughter with the noise she makes. She takes me hand and pulls me closer so we're lying on our back staring at the roof of the fort. I feel her take out her phone and mess with it for a minute before light cracks through the silence and I'm left speechless.
Millions of little stars shine on the walls and roof, wherever the light hits them from her phone. They twinkled like the real ones we slept under that night on the way to El Paso, the night I really knew I was in love with her. I stare at them in awe as the they sparkle and shine and I feel her eyes on me. I finally tear my eyes from the fake stars to look back at her, her hair sprawled out over the pillow she had her head on, her skin looking soft and eyes even softer. My hand unintentionally comes up to travel down her curve of her jaw, to join up the freckles on the bridge of her nose with invisible lines and glide down the curve of her cute little nose, our eyes never leaving each others.
"I promised you the stars" she whispers when I rest my hand on her delicate cheek.
"Im so in love with you" I mumble softy after I'm left speechless. Everything I was feeling at the point should have completely drowned me, I should have wanted to run away as fast as possible, and with anyone else I probably would have, but this was the love of my life lying in front of me and I knew this is all I wanted. I knew in that second I wanted this monsoon to be the end of the world, I wanted the ground to cave in and swallow the world whole so this would be my last moment, and in this moment I would always be completely in love and completely content.
"Why do we only have three days" I sigh out and she pulls us closer, my head finding the crook of her neck and our legs and fingers tangle.
"We've got forever sunshine, we just need to wait a little longer" she whispers into my hair and the rain fills up the comfortable silence. I feel myself drifting off to sleep as the fake stars twinkle above us before I hear her whisper into my hair.
"But I don't think I can wait any longer"