17

SUNDAY
11:32 AM

"Hi, hi, hi." I dropped my bag on the floor and got myself under the covers of Amelia's bed. After pulling the duvet over me, I saw that she was on her phone, her hair tied back, not a trace of makeup on her face. She clearly was not leaving the house today.

"Hey." She said, putting her phone to the side. We didn't have a chance to talk after Friday night nor could we talk the day after since she was out with her family. "You have work, right?"

"At 1," I told her, noticing how soft her voice was. " We got a bit of time."

"Okay," she crawled out from under the duvet, leaning up against her headboard. I got out too, rolling over to face her, a pillow tucked under my head.

I waited a moment for her to collect herself. When she opened her mouth to speak, her expression of distraught. "So, uh, it was after like the cake was cut and everything. He was talking to a couple people outside and I asked him if we could speak privately and he said yeah." She paused before continuing. "Then we went off to the side and we were just chatting for a bit. He asked me how I was and I remember laughing a lot."

"Yeah, you do that when you're drunk."

She laughed a bit. "Yeah, I noticed. Then my dumb ass decided to pry out any girl he had interest for. By the way Lisa is interested in him."

"What?" I asked then realized that that made a lot of sense.

"I'm not blind. It's not even like she's into him, the girl is possessive over him. She tried pulling him away like five times when she saw we were talking. I don't even know why the bitch ass was there, I never invited her. I don't even like that-"

"Amelia." I stopped her from ranting.

"Oh, yeah, back on track. Then he said he wasn't into anyone at the moment and drunk me was thinking, 'okay, this is your chance you got this.'" Amelia gave the biggest eye roll. "But then he asked me almost as if he already knew. He was like, 'Ames, you don't like me, do you?' I was so ready to lie my ass off but clearly my lying skills suck when I'm drunk and I said yeah."

Amelia grabbed a pillow and put her face in it, groaning dramatically. "What? What happened next?"

When I took the pillow off Amelia's face, she had her eyes closed tightly. "He put two and two together and realized that this is why me and Emil broke up." Amelia sighed deeply. "That's when he told me that we should just stay friends."

Oh for fuck's sake.

"And when he said it, he said it awkwardly. I get that since the conversation kind of put him on the spot to reject me nicely but I feel like it won't be the same anymore. You know? It's just going to be awkward from now on. He's your cousin and we all usually talk everyday. It's gonna be weird."

I tried to be optimistic. "I don't think it's going to-"

"It's gonna be weird, S," She cut in. "Don't sugarcoat it." She sighed, looking up at the ceiling.

There was a huge moment of silence between us. I grabbed her hand and she intertwined it with my own. "But what about you? How are you?"