19

TUESDAY

6:12 PM

I was sitting on my porch, my feet tapping against the wood in irritation.

My phone buzzed in my pocket.

Kevin: you looked really mad when I saw you after school today.

It was almost five o'clock and I knew he probably just ended practice. The petty side of me didn't want to talk to him. The petty side wanted me to turn on my read receipts and let him know I read the message and didn't reply. But my fingers started tapping and I did.

Sandra: not in the mood to talk.

But a part of me didn't turn off my phone off. I wanted to keep talking to him. I sighed. This was some type of Kevin effect. It always ends up with me telling myself I have something to do but I end up replying to him not even a second after my mental conflict.

Kevin: I can tell. You look really mad.

(2) Kevin: don't type on ur phone too hard baby you're gunna break the screen.

My head shot up at the sound of footsteps and Kevin gave me a small smile walking over to me, his hands shoved into the pockets of his purple sweater.

I almost internally screamed. I didn't want to see him. I barely saw him today as it was. The times I did was when he was with Allison Tinto. Again. And Again.

Every single one of those times I turned myself in the other direction. And as much as I didn't pretended not to care I already knew why I was reacting this way.

"Hey. I wanted to check on how you were doing."

"You couldn't call?" Weeks of talking to this guy and he would call me at least once a day. The one day he doesn't call me, he ends up in front of my house.

He shrugged. "Sometimes it's better to stay off technology for a bit."

He took a seat next to me, leaning back on his hands. "What's up?"

"Nothing." I mumbled.

"I know your mad, S. I just want to know why. You've been looking bothered the whole day and I had a feeling you wouldn't tell me about it through the phone."

"Why do you care?"

The corner of his lip tugged up. "Why not?"

I might as well just tell him. "Well, during the day I got a test back in physics."

"Let me guess? It was really bad?"

"I got a 51." I said blandly. Usually when I said this to some other people they would tell me it wasn't that serious. To me it was pretty serious.

Kevin actually understood. "Jheeze."

"Yup."

"What about now? What's got you to sit out here? I know it definitely wasn't that test."

"It's my sister."

Kevin frowned. "Raina? What did she do now?"

"We just got into a huge fight."

"Over what?"

"Uh, I found weed in her room."

There was a moment of silence between us and any sign of a smile was completely wiped off Kevin's face. "Why were you in her room?"

"Because I was looking for my sweater and I knew she had it. I asked her where it was and she said to go look for it in the room. I found my sweater just along with a bag filled with weed."