14

MONDAY

6:08 PM

"When is Kevin coming over next?" My father's question paralleled Raina from that night over two weeks ago not even a minute after being home from his restaurant. I was on the phone with Kevin too. It was ironic.

"Is that your dad?" Kevin asked and the only sound was his footsteps probably going up the stairs to his house. I'm surprised he came home this early to be honest. He had school basketball practice and then his rep basketball team practice usually on the same days sometimes so he would get home late.

"Yeah."

Kevin laughed. "Tell him soon."

I looked at my dad, repeating what Kevin told me and my dad grinned. I headed towards the living room. "He really likes you."

"Your dad's pretty cool." It was almost as if he wanted to add something to that sentence but fought against it. "I'm not coming to school tomorrow by the way."

"Really? Why?" I heard a door shut from his side.

"My mom has a day off and I'm going to spend it with her."

I let out the 'aww' I couldn't contain. Whenever Kevin talked about his mom it was as if he was talking about the most important person in his life. And to him, she was. I could tell by the admiration in his voice. And I knew that because she usually worked a lot and he had basketball, he didn't see her as often as he wished too.

"What are you guys going to do?"

"I want to let her sleep in. I was thinking of attempting to make breakfast for her-"

"Attempt."

"Yes, attempt. Not all of us are skilled at cooking. Some of us burn everything we touch, S."

I smiled softly, kicking my feet up on the ottoman. "Are you guys going to go somewhere?"

"Yeah, probably go bowling. She's really good at it. We used to go every time on her birthday and on mine. Like a tradition. And we'll probably end up at this park we used to go to when I was a kid. She used to take me there all the time and we'd have like a picnic and we'd talk like really talk."

I couldn't stop the other 'aww' that came out of my mouth and Kevin laughed. "Stop."

"I'm sorry. Your relationship with your mom is so cute."

"To some extent, she's my best friend."

"Kevin." I gushed.

I could imagine his hand covering his face for a second while he laughed. "I really want you to meet her."

"Really?"

"Yeah." I started to get nervous at the thought of meeting someone so important to Kevin and I'm certain he sensed it because he said, "Don't worry. I'm sure she'll like you."

"You really think so?"

"What's not to like?" And before I could say anything to that he continued speaking. "I have a project and some homework to do and as much as I would love to continue talking to you I really can't get distracted."

"It's fine," I assured. "Go."

"I'll call or text you later, yeah?"

"Yeah, sure. Bye."

"Bye, babe."  I hung up my phone, lightly tossing it on the other side of the couch,

"What was that all about?" My dad said while I flicked through channels.