Chapter 22

River's POV

The Doctor continues to tug me to the med bay. "Come on!" I sigh. "Can you walk anywhere?" He shakes his head. "No."

He pulls me into the room. "Ok. You lay on that one and pull your shirt up." I do as he says while he tries to figure out how to do an ultrasound. "Ok. This gel. It does a sciency thing. It's gonna be cold." He says, showing be a small container with the stuff. I nod, and he rubs it on my stomach.

"Now let's do this." He picks up a device that looks sort of like a 21st century barcode scanner and runs it across my belly slowly. I look at the screen. There's something there. It's definitely a baby. He looks at it as well. "River." he whispers to me.

"Yes?" I whisper back, not taking my eyes off the screen. "We made that." He whispers. I just stare at the tiny, undeveloped body that's inside me. "Yeah. We did."

"Want to know if it's a boy or a girl? We can scan it's blood." He asks me, looking at the screen. I don't speak for a second. We made a person. A real, living, person. That is currently growing inside me. When I actually see the baby, it just gets all the more real.

"Yes. Do the scan." I tell him. He nods and presses a button on the side.

'FEMALE' flashes across the screen. I do a sharp intake of breath. The blood is female. We are going to have a daughter. The Doctor looks down at me with a goofy grin on his face. "Well, I suppose Doctor Jr. is out of the question."

I smile, but then immediately start worrying again. What would happen if I can't do it? If my body can't hold a living Time Lord? Because humans can't. They aren't strong enough. I may have Time Lord in me, but that doesn't mean that I can do it. I dot have much Time Lord in me. I'm about 32%. And I have to carry a baby that's almost full?

The Doctor gently begins to wipe the gel off of my belly. "River." I look over at him. "Hm?" He sets the towel down. "We need a vacation. A relaxing one. Just for you. No danger. We can call your parents and tell them it's a girl, and then we can go."

I pull my shirt back down. "Yeah. Sounds good. Now, I really want some Reidclotts. You know, from the planet Upanki. 39th century. Be a dear and get me some?"

-3weeks later-

We've been on a 'relaxing vacation' a while now. Not actually relaxing. There was plenty of trouble, but the Doctor made me stay in the TARDIS, and the Old Girl was on his side and wouldn't open. I roll over to the other side of the bed.

I'm a little over a month pregnant, and my bump is a lot bigger. It's getting uncomfortable to lay on my stomach. Not that I usually lay on my stomach when I'm sleeping. My training instinct is to lay on my back so I can see what's coming. Now, however, there's not really a comfortable position.

The Doctor has been doing his best, but I've been in a lot of pain. I don't tell him that. I'm trying to keep his child alive and well. I've been doing scans on the TARDIS, and the baby is just a little off. I can tell that it's a person now, because it's got little arms and legs. But the inside of the baby is what I'm worried about. All of her vitals have to work. Particularly her hearts. I've only got one of them, and now I have to sustain another person that has two.

It's painful. Very painful. I've been trained to take all kinds of different torture, but this is someone inside of me using me to grow. And I'm trying. I'm doing my best. I'd die to keep this child alive in a second.

Unfortunately, so will my husband. He'd give up regenerations to save the baby quickly. I don't want him doing that. I don't want him to have to do that.

I roll over again in bed, trying to get comfortable. I just can't go to sleep without him. And he doesn't sleep very much, so now I have to go get him. Or not. I decide to be lazy, and tell the TARDIS to get him.

He arrives a second later, out of breath. "Are you alright? What's wrong? What happened? Please tell me you're ok!" I sigh. I don't want to admit to this. "I'm fine. I just... this baby... I can't.... I can't sleep without you." I finally say, slightly angry with myself.

He nods and gets under the covers beside me. "Ok. I'll stay in here." He scoots over to get close to me, then wraps his arms around me. He plays with my hair, and I easily fall asleep.

-A month later-

The Doctor bursts back into the doors quickly, panting. I'm guessing from running. I take another lick of the chocolate frosting. "Done?" I ask him.

He nods and comes over to me. "I'm annoyed with these stupid Atraxi." He dips his finger into the frosting. I step on his foot. "Ow! What was that for?!"

I shrug. "My frosting. Get your own." He gives me a mean look. "River!" I shake my head. "No."

Then the baby kicks. I stop what I'm doing immediately and put my hand on my belly. She kicks again. I giggle. The Doctor stares at me, mouth gaping. "Was that- Did you just giggle?" She kicks another spot.

"Here." I grab his hand and stick it on my now noticeable belly. "What?" He asks, confused. I put a finger up. Then the baby kicks again. "Oh my-was that the baby? Our baby?"

I grin stupidly and nod. These hormones are the most annoying thing that have ever happened to me. I mean, I just giggled. Since when does River Song giggle? Ugh.

He looks at my belly in wonder. "Wow." I nod. "Oh yes." The Doctor gets on his knees and puts his ear to my now-huge stomach. "Hey, sweetheart. I'm your daddy." She kicks again, right where his ear is. He backs up. "I think she's in a mood." I inform him, going back to spooning out chocolate frosting.

He rolls his eyes. "Either that, or she's mad about me stealing the frosting too." I think on that. "Well..."

He kisses me and shuts me up. I smile into his lips, gladly pushing my tongue into his mouth. Until she kicks. Again. I grunt. He pulls away. "Stop kicking your mum when she's kissing your dad!" He scolds our un-born child.

I laugh. He pouts at me. "Another?" I roll my eyes and give him a peck on the cheek. Then stick the spoon of chocolate in my mouth. He sighs, then goes to the console. "Where do you want to go this time?"

[A/N So this is mostly River being pregnant. I skipped a lot, because I don't want to make a ton of chapters with River just staying in the TARDIS while the Doctor saves planets. So how was that for her being pregnant? Good? Bad? Comment, Vote, just give me feedback. And here's (probably) the real warning: the next chapter will be sad.]