Chapter 25

River's POV

It's been 2 weeks since we saw Craig and Sophie. My belly now reminds me of an elephant. Which isn't a bad thing. That means that the baby is growing, which is exactly what needs to happen.

I, of course, have been going to teach at the University a lot as well. With a perception filter. My husband has insisted in being in every single class and staying with me 24/7. I'm moody, and hormones are flowing through me constantly. Damn things. One minute all I want to do is take a nap, which is annoying, and the next I want to go do something, which is dangerous. Then all I want to do is snog my husband, then I want to slap him. Then I want to cuddle. I will admit one thing: I'm not being the easiest person to stay with all the time. (It doesn't help that when I apologize, he says he's used to it and that I'm acting perfectly normal for me.)

The Doctor has been battling boredom. He got a Wii, courtesy of Amy and Rory, so he can stay occupied for a short amount of time, but I can tell he's all-too ready for a real life-threatening adventure. So am I.

"I'm going to park us on Clom." I announce, and leave the room. "Hold on, River. I've just got to-" I hear a thud as I exit through the door. "Oops. That vase from Goudy is no longer going to be of service!"

I roll my eyes and continue down the corridor until I reach the control room and send us on our way.

That day, he makes sure we're just taking a leisurely tourist sort of thing. We stroll through a park, make a couple swings anti-grav, re-build a crappily built boat, and assemble some Clominite a new motor for his tricycle (well, I say tricycle. 3 wheels).

And then at the end of the day we stop the fifth world war  from happening with a bit of a broken lamp, some curtains, and a bottle of lotion. Maybe that one did involve a bit of shooting and a bit of running.

Then it's back to the TARDIS.

I'm pacing the control room at this point. The Doctor is doing some kind of WWII airplane simulator that I've passed about 20 times now.

Back and forth.

Back and forth.

Back and forth.

"Dammit!" I finally exclaim. "This isn't working. I need something to alleviate boredom. Quickly. No reason to feel like I'm in Stormcage again."

The TARDIS does an offended little hum and launches off into who-knows-where silently. I grab another gun and stick into my pocket. And a small pack of TNT, just in case.

I walk over and look at the scanner. Walmart? Why did she bring me to Walmart?

I go out the doors and my question is answered. I'm standing in the baby section of the store, looking at bottles and pacifiers and formula. I look back at the Old Girl, who is cloaked and not making any noise.

"Seriously? I know for a fact you can make all of this even better."

No response.

I give an angry huff and go to the bottles, biting my lip.

Then I realize- I've got no idea what to buy. I've never had kids before. I never really was a kid. I was too smart.

I must look pretty awkward standing there staring for exactly two minutes thirty six seconds, because soon enough an employee walks up. "Need any assistance, m'am? He asks with a Southern drawl.

"Yes, actually. I don't-" I sigh and shake my head. "I don't know what to buy." I finally admit.

He smiles and squats down to look at some on the bottom shelf. "Ah. Well, I can help with that. How far are you along?"