Chapter 27: part one

Whenever you think about a mother giving birth, you usually think of the words push, breathe, and then it's just joy at bringing a new life into the world. That's all you read about or watch on telly, too. They never include the other parts.

I'm here to tell you first hand- my first thought right now isn't rainbows and unicorns, and simply pushing and breathing isn't the whole story.

What they don't tell you is that not only is it difficult, it's also painful. Really. Think about it. A small child, usually about six pounds and about a foot long, is supposed to go through a very small amount of space to get into the world.

I'm pushing on command and squeezing my mother and husband's hand so hard that I'm cutting off circulation. Thankfully, they're both wise enough to suck it up. Dad is trying hard to not look at my lower body, but he does anyway when they announce they can see the head. Not that I care about it at this point.

The Doctor's whispering Galifreyan words of comfort and how amazing I am, and Mum's more or less doing the same thing in Gaelic Scottish. Dad's nodding awkwardly and telling me I can do it, and for some reason, that's what makes me try harder. Call me a daddy's girl.

Rory's always stood up for me when I was Mels. Always. They'd make fun of me about the Doctor, and I'd roll my eyes, and Rory'd go tell them off. He may have been short, but he could be intimidating. Besides, if anyone touched him, they knew that I'd come beat them up. Amy couldn't do much about it, because they usually made fun of both of us at the same time. She'd tell me to ignore them, and that one day they'd be sorry because the Raggedy Doctor would give them a talking-to. But Rory's always been someone I can talk to without feeling judged. I used to love history class, and I had memorized the textbook the first time I read it. I made terrible grades on purpose, and for some reason, Rory was the first one to notice. He came and asked why I would do that when I was so smart. I was thrilled that he was acting like a dad, and just shrugged. He told me I could do anything if I set my mind to it.

I ground my teeth and put all my effort into it.

Then I hear my daughter (my daughter!) crying.

I make out my husband declining to cut the umbilical cord. Thank God. Not really something I want him to do. I finally exhale.

Mum and Dad are watching quietly as they clean her, with expressions of awe on their faces. The Doctor looks absolutely amazed and bewildered and happy, much like when I told him who I was.

I'm getting my breath back under control when she's handed over to him.

Doctor's POV

I just watch numbly as my child is finally delivered into the arms of the awaiting nurses. The small life is one if the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

"Would you like to cut it?" The nun gestures towards what I remember is the umbilical cord. I shake my head. "Um, no, I think you should do that." Thankfully, they do it, and then wash her gently. River looks tired, but I can see the pride on her face as she looks on at our baby.

Then she's handed to me, and I vaguely remember Rory telling Amy about how he was 'going to be cool', and how that completely failed. I guess I did, too, because I'm starting to cry, and the amazing thing that is my daughter is stretching her pretty, strong little legs.

She's just so beautiful. She's got her mother's curls, except they're darker, and my nose and River's chin. Her ears resemble Amy's, and her jawline is Rory's.

This is a piece of the woman I love and myself wrapped together. Proof of us.

Happy crying.

I hand her over to River after my quick moment, and I don't miss the way that her eyes start to literally glow (a time lady thing when processing the regeneration energy the baby gave off) when near her child. She looks so happy, and I wonder if this is really what she's always wanted. Her own little Song.