The Big Secret

Peter Maximoff didn't mind it too much that he grew up without a father. He had a loving mother, half-sister who always made him smile and a twin sister to which he was so close it was like they were the same person. His mom taught him how to walk and ride a bike, his sister helped him with his homework (he definitely didn't have enough patience to pay attention in class, and god knew she was much smarter than him), sure learning how to shave was an interesting process, but in the end it worked out. For as long as he could remember, the only moment when he wanted to have his dad around, was when his and Wendy's (well, really Wanda, but their mom had decided to give them more American names for school in the hope to avoid bullying) powers came in. Yeah, mom knew where those powers came from, and she wasn't scared of them, which was great, but she couldn't really teach them how to control those powers. For that, they were on their own.

But all that changed the day he saw that man, the man he broke out of the pentagon, on the news, declaring war on all of humanity. Wendy wasn't there that day. She was at a friend's house, so she wasn't there to see their mother's face twist in fear and terror as she watched the events unfold. Peter sat there in front of the TV, his little sister on his lap. She didn't notice Marya's face twist, but he did, and he was determined to find out why she looked terrified, but not at all surprised.

'Mom...' Peter said as he leaned against the kitchen counter. His mother was cutting vegetables, getting ready for dinner. 'Mom, why did you look like that at the TV when that man tried to shoot the president?' He crossed his arms and looked at his mom. She, however, avoided his gaze.

'Is it such a weird reaction to be afraid when you see a man, capable of that kind of destruction, declaring war on all of humanity?!'

'No, but that's the point. You didn't seem surprised at all.'

She sighed, frustration obvious. 'Just drop it. Peter! It's nothing!'

Peter nodded slightly, biting the inside of his cheek trying not to be hurt by the fact his mom yelled at him. She never, ever yelled. 'The fact that you are yelling like that proves it's not nothing, Mom! Will you please just tell me?'

Marya put the knife down, her hand slightly shaking and let out a deep sigh. 'His name is Erik Lehnsherr, and he is your father, Peter...'

Peter's face fell, his eyes widened. 'wh-What? Mom you can't be serious.'

She just nodded, and then walked over and hugged him. And there they stood, in the kitchen by the counter, holding each other.

That was about 10 years ago now and a lot had changed. Peter now lived in the X-mansion, and the professor was trying to get him to become a teacher there. But Peter couldn't really focus on that, not while his father was around in that house, and he hadn't built up the courage yet to tell the man the truth.

'So.'

Peter jumped, pulled from his thought back into the real world by Raven popping up out of nowhere.

'When are you gonna tell him?'

'When are you gonna shut up about it?' He shot back, sounding a little more annoyed than he meant to.

Raven raised her eyebrows unimpressed by the abrupt remark.

'How about I tell someone in the house each day you do not tell Erik?'

Peter shot her a death glare. 'You wouldn't dare!'

Raven grinned. 'Oh you know I would. I'll probably start with telling Charles.' Another evil grin.