Scars

Erik had had always known that being an X-men could be dangerous. He was reminded of that more often than he would like to admit, when the memory of apocalypse hurting Peter, popped back into his mind. He wasn't too fond of the idea of Peter going out there, risking his life for people who didn't like mutants anyway. But he also knew that his son was 25 years old, and telling him to not go because it was dangerous, would be completely ridiculous. Not to mention humiliating for Peter himself. And still, each time the X-men went on a mission Erik was nervous. He was the first to arrive at the docking bay when the jet came back in, and often let out a long breath (he refused to acknowledge that he was holding) when Peter walked out looking fine. He went into full protective parent mode the few times Peter needed to be helped off the plane because he got hurt.

He knew scars. What weapons would create what scars, whether or not they would fade, and even knew exactly how many scars his son had received over the past months on his missions. And so he was quite surprised one Saturday morning when he walked into Peter's bedroom. Peter, only just gotten out of the bathroom, was still waking around bare foot and bare-chested, only wearing jeans. He heard the door open and slightly looked over his shoulder.

'Hey dad.' He chimed as he was standing there, looking at something on his bed.'

'Morning, Peter.' Erik sounded slightly worried, his eyes focused on a spot on Peter's side. A small cut scar surrounded by a red spot which looked like a faded bruise of some kind. 'Peter, what is that.' He walked towards Peter, as Peter turned around.

'What's what?' He asked nonchalantly, even though in his mind was racing, trying to figure out how to get out of this situation. He knew exactly what his dad was talking about, and he was in no mood to ever tell his dad about that damn scar.

'That.' Erik said as he pointed at the spot. 'How did you get that scar, Peter?'

Peter shrugged. 'Probably on a mission.' He walked past his dad, towards his closet and quickly put on a shirt. Erik sighed, frustrated.

'Peter, I know scars. And as someone he has more than any one man should, I still know how I got each and every one of them. It's not something we ever forget. I know you know how you got that scar, and we both know it wasn't on a mission. So stop lying to me, Peter, and tell me.'

Now Peter was annoyed. 'No!' He yelled as he turned around to face his dad. 'Just let it go dad. I'm fine! Let it go!'

'I'm sorry Peter, I am your father, I cannot let it go! I am concerned for your health, like any parent would. So why are you so fixed on me letting it go?!'

Peter's hands started to shake, vibrating so much they were barely visible now. 'Because, dad! I don't want you to go after and kill the guy! Because I don't really feel like having to break you out of prison again!'

Erik calmed down, hearing the desperation in his son's voice, and sat down on Peter's bed. 'Peter, will you please just tell me, I won't act on anything, I just want to know.'

Peter sighed and leaned against the wall. 'When I was 6 years old, mom started dating a guy called George. He seemed nice enough, showered her in gifts, was kind to her like no man had been to her in a long time. But to me and Wanda, well, he gave us the cold shoulder a lot. Mom was busy, working, running a household and having a relationship she never really noticed that we didn't like him too much. When we were 8 they got married, and when we were 9 mom got pregnant. By that time she was too tired and busy to notice anything at all. She took care of us, loved us and was a good mom. But she was too tired to notice the fact her husband would've been just as happy having her kids shipped off to a boarding school. A year later Claire was born and well, it was okay. Still not very happy with our stepdad, but life was alright. The bad thing happened when Wanda and I were eleven. George was working from home that day, mom was out taking a walk with Claire, and me and Wanda were playing soccer outside. After a while, Wanda kicked the ball and it went through the kitchen window. George got pissed, and thought I was the one who did it. He beat me, took a shard of glass and stabbed me in the side. It's kind of a miracle Wanda didn't flip out and kill him with her powers, actually. But I was pretty banged up. Mom had just gotten home, heard the noise outside and saw basically all of it happen. She kicked him out, called the police and filed for divorce basically immediately. I was in the hospital for a day, but in the end, looking back at it all, that isn't the worst of it.'

Erik looked up at his son in utter disbelief. 'How can being stabbed by your stepfather at 11 years old, not be the worst of it?!'

Peter sighed and sat down next to his dad. 'Because he never came back.' His father looked at him as if he was crazy, so he continued to explain. 'Mom demanded sole custody of Claire, because there was evidence her father was messed up, and he never even came to the courtroom to fight it. Not him, not a lawyer, not even a letter or something. He just walked out of his daughters life like it was nothing.'

Erik's face softened, and Peter looked at his dad, with tears in his eyes.

'I've often wondered how it could be that my dad is considered a terrorist and had to be broken out of the pentagon, but somehow she still got the short sticks when it came to fathers...' Peter sniffled. 'She deserved so much better.'

Erik wrapped an arm around his son's shoulder.

'She also got better than her father could be.' Peter looked surprised. 'She got you, Peter. And if her father couldn't see how great you are, than he wasn't worth keeping around, anyway.'

Peter smiled slightly and hugged his dad, gladto know that he won't have to worry about his dad going after George, likelyending up in prison, and losing him again. He was happy with the way thingswere, right now.

More stories likely to come.