Mental

A/N Hey guys, so I recently go some inspiration to write a few more of these. I have a handful of ideas, a few already written, so you'll see a few more of these one shots coming by in the near future. I don't know how many I will be able to come up with, so I don't know how long it will last. But for now, I hope you enjoy.

After spending such a long time at the X-mansion, Peter decided it was time for him to go back home for a while. He missed Wanda and Claire, and though she would probably fuss about him, he missed him mom too.

'So how long will you be gone?' Isabel asked. She was sitting upside down in Peter's arm chair, reading a book. He was walking between his bed and the wardrobe, packing his clothes for the trip.

'About 2 weeks. What you think you can't handle this place without me?' Peter chuckled.

Isabel rolled her eyes behind the book. 'Oh shut up Peter.'

He laughed and sped over to sit down on the floor beside her. 'You are going to miss me, aren't you?'

She closed her book and smacked his arm playfully. 'You're my best friend around here. Pete. Of course I'm going to miss you.'

'I'll miss you too, birdy.'

She smiled, laughing at the nickname. Her brother had called her an angel when she was little, but it was the only nickname she had ever gotten which she didn't hate. Up until Peter started calling her birdy, at least. She guessed she deserved it, considering she always called him slowpoke, but she kind of liked the nickname, because she knew that there was a friendship behind it. She got up from the chair and walked to the door. 'I got a class to teach. You're not leaving till tomorrow morning, right?'

'Nop. I'll still be there for dinner.'

'Good. See you then Slowpoke.'

Peter was sitting outside by the lake that night. The sun had almost set, but there was still a bit of light outside. He heard someone sit down beside him.

'You're not getting sentimental about this place, are you?'

Peter chuckled at the joking tone in his dad's voice.

'I was sentimental about this place the day I arrived here with a broken leg and every kid in the building wanted to sign it. It feels like home.'

'It is that way for a lot of children here. For many of them it is the only home they have ever known. But not for you...'

Peter sighed. 'No, not for me. It feels weird, I love this place, I feel at home here, but on the other hand I feel guilty for not going home to mom more...'

Erik placed his hand upon Peter's shoulder. 'Our family will always be home to us in some way, but that doesn't mean you can't create a new home and a new family when you grow up, Peter. If I could still visit my parents I would, even though I have now found a family here.'

Peter nodded. 'I guess you're right.' He got up. 'Well, I gotta leave early tomorrow. Professor said I should take a train instead of running back to DC, so... I'm gonna get some sleep.'

Erik got up and hugged his son. 'Have a nice trip, Peter. And say hi to your mother for me.'

Peter chuckled. 'Sure. I'm sure she'll be happy to hear it.'

It was next Saturday morning when Peter sat around the Kitchen table with both his sisters and his mom for lunch when the news came in. their laughter and easy chatter was broken when a voice on the TV announced that the mutant named as Magneto was attacking a small town in New York. Peter and Wanda looked at each other with wide eyes. Soon, the TV remote was transported to the table by flying red sparks, and the volume turned up.