The Argument

Taken that Peter's dad had not been a part of his "growing-up" years, and Peter was now an adult responsible for his own life, he would never, ever had expected to one day be sitting in his bedroom while both of his parents were lecturing him. It really was happening, Peter saw it happen in front of him, but he still didn't really believe it.

Okay, so maybe they were right to be yelling at him, but come on he was 25 years old, wasn't it his own fault and problem when he messed up and got into trouble? He sighed, as in front of him his parents rambled on, yelling at him.

The one good thing to come out of it though, from Peter's point of view, was that for once his parents were working together. Sure, they were working together on yelling at him, but hey it was something. Baby steps.

'Pietro!' his mother yelled and Peter snapped out of it. Right, he thought, I ran up and down the big satellite dish, fell of, broke bones, was unconscious for a minute and terrified my parents. Right, I did that, Peter thought before turning his attention back to his mom. He laughed somewhat innocently, hoping to get on his mom's good side. 'Are you even listening to anything I have to say?'

'Of course...' Peter softly stated.

'Oh, really, then what did I say?' Marya asked, waiting for Peter to mess up, knowing he hadn't been listening at all. She crossed her arms and leaned back a little.

'Uhm...' Peter mumbled, avoiding his mom's gaze... I...'

'Just what I thought.' She said as she turned away from Peter, angrily releasing her breath. From the corner of her eyes she saw Erik, who had been quietly leaning against the wall for most of the lecture, scoff slightly as he rolled his eyes at Marya. Marya turned her attention towards him and looked at him with look bordering on pure hatred. 'Oh, I'm sorry, do you have something to say?' she asked sarcastically.

'Oh, no, carry on. You're doing great.' The joke in Erik's words was obvious, and succeeded in making Marya even madder than she already was.

'Well then, Erik, why don't you enlighten me in how I should be telling my son that what he did was absolutely reckless, stupid and irresponsible! And that I am absolutely furious at him for taking such a risk.'

'Oh I think you got that second part across quite well.' Erik chuckled somewhat as he nudged himself away from the wall with his back and walked towards the couch on which Peter sat. 'But taken the fact that your yelling made him zone out of the conversation after 2 minutes and not hear any part of your lecture, perhaps you should try a different approach.' Erik grinned.

'Don't!' Marya pointed her finger at Erik. 'Don't you dare tell me to raise my son!'

'I think you're a little late to raise him...'

'Then don't tell me how to lecture him! I have raised him on my own for all his life, because you decided to just abandon our relationship and not come after me. Choosing revenge over a normal life. You were never there for your kids!'

Erik's mocking smile faded and he glared at the woman in front of him, a woman he still loved, but who was testing his patience whenever she had the chance. 'And who's fault was that, huh?!' he yelled. 'You never told me I was going to be a father, don't you think that would have changed my actions. But no, you decided I shouldn't know about my own children, even though it would have made me stay. And now you blame me for being absent during their childhood!'

The tension in the room was rising and Peter could sense it, he probably should step in and break up the argument, but taken that he didn't know all that much about his parents relationship, he was intrigued and just wanted to listen. He quickly ran out of the room, and without his parents noticing sat back down on the couch again, holding a bottle of soda and bag of popcorn in his hands. He leaned back on the couch and watched as his parents now yelled at each other instead of him.

'Sure! It is my fault for wanting to be able to run and give my kids a safe life if the announcement would turn out to just anger you! You were obsessed with revenge, aggressive and nearly murderous whenever that man's name was mentioned. Is it so weird that I feared for my baby's life?!'

Erik took a step closer, now only a few inches away from Marya. 'I never lifted a finger to you, Marya. I loved you too much to ever hurt you like that, and you knew that. You should have known and trusted that I would never hurt my own children!' By now it became obvious to Peter that his dad wasn't just angry, but hurt. He was upset, and somewhat mad at Marya, that she never gave him the chance to be a part of his own kids' life. He never truly knew the decision he was making. He never truly knew between what he was choosing, and he felt Marya was to blame.

'You can be mad at me all you want Erik, but I stand by my decision! I did the right thing for Pietro and Wanda, and nothing you say will ever make me feel guilty about it!' She scoffed. 'You probably wouldn't even have been a good father!'

The anger flashed in Erik's eyes, before being replaced with sadness and hurt. 'I was a father to a daughter for 8 years and did everything I could to do right by her. I know it was previous mistakes of mine which were here undoing. But I wasn't a bad father, Marya...'

Marya fell silent, not knowing how to answer, when Erik's pain was so obvious. In the silence the two grown-ups watched each other, not entirely sure how to continue, or what emotion they were feeling.

Peter unintentionally broke the silence when he bit on the popcorn, and both his parents looked at Peter, who sat frozen on the couch.

Marya stared in somewhat disbelief at her son while Erik laughed slightly.

'I hope you're enjoying the show, Peter.' He offered.

Peter shrugged. 'It's interesting to hear you talk about your relationship, but honestly, watching you guys argue isn't really all that much fun. I mean, yeah, you have history. And I get it, you're mad at each other, blame each other for what happened with different reasons as to why you were doing nothing wrong. But, come on, can we just set that aside and try to act civilized, if I wanted to watch an argument I'm sure I can find one among the kids here, but I'd rather just have a day without fights. So can you try to just get along, for me?'

Marya looked at Erik, who extended his hand. 'Truce?' he offered. Marya shook his hand.

'I still stand by what I said, but Peter's right, let's try to stop arguing.'

They shook hands and Peter smiled. A smile which soon faded when his mom's eyes fell on him again, and glared slightly.

'Yeah, yeah! I get it, no more running up and down the satellite dish, and try not to break anymore bones...'

Marya laughed and motivated Peter to get up so she could hug him. And in that short moment, the three of them seemed like a somewhat functioning family.