Holidays

Christmas was always Peter's favorite holiday; there was lots of food happy memories at his grandma's home, presents and decorating the tree with his mom and sisters. And of course the never ending snow ball fights with Wanda. As Christmas was coming closer he was getting more and more excited about it. He had already done his gift shopping long before thanksgiving. A beautiful silk scarf for his mom, special custom made bracelet for Claire and a pair of ruby earrings for Wanda because she always wore red.

He had been trying to convince his dad to come home with him for Christmas since the beginning of November. But so far he had had no luck. By now, about 2 weeks before Christmas, many of the kids had already gone home, back to their families to celebrate the holidays. As he was walking through the large halls of the mansion he realized how quiet it was, and easily picked up the sound of a young girl crying. He stopped in his tracks and followed the sound. Soon he found the source. A young girl, about 9 years old, sitting in a window still, her legs pulled up and crying into her hands. She reminded him of her little half-sister, Claire. Peter moved towards her, and sat down on the window still.

'Hey, what's wrong?' He asked, in his best attempt to smile.

She sniffled and looked up at him, eyes questioning.

Peter looked down at his hands before meeting her eyes again. 'I'm Peter, what's your name.'

'Jenny.' She mumbled, and sniffled again.

'Why are you crying, Jenny? It's the holidays.' He shrugged. 'A time to be happy, right?'

'Because I have no family to go back home to...'

Peter's smiled faded. 'Did they die?' He carefully asked.

She shook her head. 'No. they kicked me out when I got my powers. Thought I was dangerous. I came here, and the professor took me in. But everyone was so happy to go home. Today Katie, my best friend, went home. And I just became really sad...' She looked down at her hands, and Peter thought about all the other kids that were still at the Mansion, and had given no indication to pack at all.

Peter placed his hand on Jenny's. 'Don't worry Jenny. I'm sure Christmas here will be fun as well. Don't worry about it.' He gave her a quick wink and ran off as fast as he could.

As on every given afternoon, Erik and Charles were having tea, and playing a game of chess. It was always difficult to determine who was winning until the final move was made, and today was no different. But just as Erik was planning to make his next move they were interrupted by Peter rushing into the office.

'Peter, how can we help you today?' Charles asked, somewhat annoyed by the boy's inability to knock.

'We need a Christmas Party!'

Erik and Charles looked somewhat confused.

'Why do we need a Christmas party, Peter?' Erik asked.

Peter sighed. 'I just saw a little girl crying because she can't go home to celebrate Christmas with her parents, cause they have kicked her out. And I've seen all the other kids around who are not going home, and don't have anyone to celebrate Christmas with.' He sighed again. 'We can't let that happen to them. Christmas is a happy Time, and we should make them feel happy.'

Erik smiled. He might not celebrate Christmas, but he was happy to see his son care about others and be so selfless.

Charles smiled. 'Well then, what are we waiting for?'

Over the next week all the X-men did their best to make it a happy Christmas for everyone. They bought toys and games for all the kids. Got a few more Christmas trees and decorated the entire mansion. They planned an entire day full of breakfast, dinner and fun activities. It was at the end of this hectic week of planning that Erik heard a knock on his door around 1 in the morning. As most nights, Erik was still reading as most nights.