Powers

It was only 4 months after Peter's Stepdad left when he first noticed the change in his hair color. He was brushing his teeth in the morning in front of the bathroom mirror, when he saw a streak of almost silver hair between his normally light brown waves. Over the next few days more silver streaks appeared in his hair, and people started to notice. This of course led to endless amounts of teasing, and it didn't take long for Peter to pick up a pair of scissors and planned to cut off all of his hair.

'Peter! Put the scissors down right this instant!' Marya yelled as she walked by the open door of the bathroom, and saw Peter standing in front of the mirror, hair in his one hand, scissors in the other. She rushed over to him. 'What are you doing love?'

Peter sighed and looked down at his feet. 'My hair is turning white, and people are making fun of it. I wanted to cut it off so people wouldn't see the white anymore...'

Marya ran her hand through his hair, examining the color. Her heart started to beat faster as she realized Peter's hair was indeed turning white.

'Why is it happening, mom?'

Marya looked at him with a smile. 'I don't know sweetheart, but I do know that cutting it off is not the answer. So please put the scissors down, and go do your homework.

'Okay...' Peter mumbled before handing over the scissors, and walking to his room.

Marya sighed. She had always known about the powers Peter and Wanda's father had. He had both hated and relished in them. She had been astonished as well as scared. They had both expected the powers to be genetic, long before it was proven so, and had always dreaded the day her children would start showing signs of unusual abilities. The change in Peter's hair color was likely just the beginning of an incredibly difficult time for him.

It was the next day about 10 minutes after 3 when Marya heard a thump against the front door. She looked up from the forms and bills on the kitchen table and walked to the front door. When she opened the door, she found Peter, shaking by her feet. His hands where shaking so fast she could not see them, and Marya gasped.

'Peter, honey, what happened to you?' She knelt down and wrapped her arms around him. She could feel him starting to relax, and his vibrating slowed. His quick shakes turned into shocking shoulders and she could hear him sob. 'Sweetie, please tell me what's wrong?'

Peter sniffled. 'Jack and his friends were picking on me after school, I didn't want it to turn it into a fight, so I started to run. And then before I knew it, I was here. I-I don't understand what happened... I-I'm afraid.' He looked up at her. 'Mom, what is happening to me?'

And so she told him. Told him about his father, and his extraordinary powers. She told him that he was likely developing special powers of his own. He was still scared, she knew he was. She understood it, too. She would have been afraid too, as anyone would be.

'But how?'

Of course he would ask that. But she couldn't answer that question. His father wouldn't be able to either. She didn't think anyone really could answer how the mutations came to be like this.

'Mom... I'm scared...' He finally spoke.

Marya nodded. 'I understand sweetheart. But don't worry. It doesn't matter to me, I still love you the same. You are still my little Pietro.'

Peter smiled and hid his face in his mom's shirt. 'I love you mom.'

'I love you too, darling.'