Chapter 5: The Fog

Link's P.O.V

I spent the rest of the day tending to my duties. I trained with Collin and the other children, fed the oxen, groomed Epona, and lastly locked up the gates to the village. 

Even though Ordon was a peaceful village that didn't mean there weren't any threats. Our tiny village was completely surrounded by the forest. Only the path to Hyrule Field was the safest bet through those woods. Anywhere off the path was considered dangerous. Time does not exist there and the creatures that dwell within are known to play tricks on you. 

Closing the gates would ensure that nothing from within those woods could come to Ordon. It was originally Rusl's duty to lock up the gates, but it was quickly bestowed onto me once his wife became pregnant again. He wanted to be constantly near her just in case she did go into labor. 

So here I was walking the silent path amongst the trees. I was alone, but that normally didn't bother me. 

As I walked I carried a lantern to light the way. It wasn't too dark yet, it was merely twilight. 

I reached the gate and set my lantern on the ground. I then wrapped the chain around the gate and locked it with the key Rusl had given to me. Once that was done I turned to head back to Ordon. 

As I bent down to retrieve my lantern the wind suddenly picked up. The trees ruled overhead and the flame in my lantern suddenly extinguished from the wind. The atmosphere felt different. It felt somewhat...darker, but not entirely. It felt somewhat in between. 

I attempted to light the gas lamp but it simply would not turn back on. 

I sighed in defeat and continued my way down the forest path in the dark.

I don't know what it was but something made me feel certainly uneasy, being in the dark alone. I attempted to shake off this strange feeling but it was too overwhelming.

The air felt thick and the ground beneath me felt cold. A mist began to shape and form and soon the path became hidden to me. The mist was too thick to see through and it became difficult to breathe. I decided to quicken my pace until I eventually found my way back to the village. 

It was dark as night still and it appeared that this strange mist had covered Ordon as well. I maneuvered through the mist until I had reached Rusl's house on the hill. 

"Rusl! Open up! You got to see this!" I shouted as I knocked in the door. 

Within the home I could here light shuffling until the door creaked open. 

Rusl was still in his days clothes as he opened the door. 

"What is it Link?" He questioned.

"Look." I simply stated as I pointed below the hill towards the village.

The mist was much more vivid from up here on the hill. It was clear to see the this strange mist encircled not just Ordon but the Forest as well.

"Come inside Link! Quickly!" Rusl demanded. 

I joined Rusl inside and quickly shut the door behind me. 

"Link! Oh what a pleasant surprise!" Uli greeted from her seat by the fire. 

On the floor by the fire was Sheik with a sleeping Colin in her arms. 

Her eyes locked with mine instantly but no words were spoken between us. 

"Have you two met?" Uli asked as she gestured between Sheik and I.

"Yes, but briefly." Sheik answered.

"Too briefly." I coughed under my breath. 

Sheik shot me an amused glance as she slowly stood up with Colin still asleep in her arms. 

"Shall I put him to bed?" Sheik insisted.

"On no please let me." Uli offered as she scooped Colin out of her arms and disappeared upstairs.

Rusl clearly seemed panicked. He was pacing about the floor, only to stop occasionally to glance out the window at the strange mist that appeared out of nowhere. 

"Rusl what are you thinking?" I asked. 

"We normally don't get such fog." He stated.

"That's not fog. Its much more. When I was locking the gate Rusl I felt something strange....Something evil." I explained. 

I saw Sheik suddenly straighten, as if something had perked her interest.

Rusl then glanced at her.

"What's going on here?" I asked myself. 

Rusl and Sheik both seemed to know something. They were hiding something, but I chose not to press them. Not yet at least. 

"Perhaps its just the weather?" Sheik inquired.

"I've seen normal fog, and that was not it. There's something malevolent out there!" I exclaimed. 

"Link, my boy, you must calm yourself. There's nothing we can do as of right now besides stay put and wait this out. Once the sun rises I'm sure this fog will just burn off and everything will go back to normal." Rusl explained. 

I sighed in annoyance. 

"Rusl-" I tried but he quickly cut me off.

"I think you should stay here tonight Link. You seem pretty spooked and I don't want you wandering off and getting lost in this fog. Spend the night here." Rusl demanded.

I nodded my head in agreement.

"Good. I will see you both in the morning then. Goodnight to you both." Rusl stated as he too disappeared up the stairs.