Chapter 30: Chasing After Sheik

Link's P.O.V

I watched Sheik leave me. She turned away and hiked up the mountainside towards Death Mountain. She was hell bent on finding that spring. I needed to find out why. I was disappointed to say the least when Sheik would not tell me the truth. I felt connected to her. I wanted to help her, I wanted to protect to her. But first I had to know what I was dealing with. 

"She's so stubborn." I chuckled to myself as I watched her go.

Of course I was frustrated with her, but I also admired her. Sheik had determination like no other. Whatever kind of mission she was on she intended to finish it, and I intended to help her along the way.

"If only she could just trust me." I sighed. 

"Link!" A voice called. 

I turned around to see that it was Malon she had followed us up the mountainside. She appeared out of breath as she picked up her skirt and ran towards me.

"Malon are you okay?" I asked. 

She seemed panicked and afraid. 

"Link you and Sheik have to get out of here." Malon huffed as she attempted to cath her breath. 

"What do you mean?" I asked. 

"Look." Malon stated as she pointed down towards the village.

In the distance you could see a mass approaching the gates. 

"Its the Yiga Clan." Malon explained. 

"They followed the refugees from Castle Town here?" I inquired. 

"Most likely. We must leave before its too late." Malon cried. 

"Go tell your family to gather your things and find a place to hide. I have to go find Sheik, I will come back for you." explained. 

Malon nodded her head in acknowledgement before turning and running back to her farm. 

I began to make my way up the mountainside. It was rather steep and as I got closer to the top I could feel the intense heat from the volcano.  I had only heard stories of the mountain's history. I knew that the Goron race lived and thrived within the mountain. The Gorons were known for their stubbornness and grit. They could withstand the high temperatures and enjoyed to eat the volcanic rock deep inside. I couldn't help but feel slightly nervous to cross paths with one. 

I could feel the sweat dripped down my face. 

"Its getting hotter." I thought to myself. 

In the distance I could see the opening of the volcano. It rumbled uneasily as smoke slowly rose from the top. 

"What are you doing up here?" A deep voice asked. 

I jumped in surprise as I turned towards the owner of that deep voice. It was a Goron, and he was big. He was tall like a tree and built large like a rock. 

"What are you doing up here?" He asked again. 

"I am looking for someone." I answered. 

The Goron rolled his eyes at me. 

"There's no one up here besides Gorons, so unless you're looking for a Goron I suggest you head back down to the village." He explained. 

"The village is in danger. The Yiga Clan are on there way. My friend went up here looking for a spring. I need to make sure she is safe." I explained. 

The Goron suddenly looked concerned.

"The Yiga Clan?!" The Goron exclaimed. 

"Yes." I sighed in frustration. 

"I must go!" The Goron stated as he turn and ran. His foot steps were heavy and echoed with each step.

"Wait! Where can I find the spring?!" I shouted as he left.

"Follow the flowers!" He called back as he disappeared from view. 

"Flowers? What flowers?" I asked. 

I turned my head to look around until I spotted a small little flower. When I approached it I couldn't say it was a flower I recognized. It certainly wasn't a flower that grew in Ordon. It was a white and blue flower. It swayed in the wind as I observed it.  When I looked ahead I spotted another one, and then another one. I followed them along the mountain side until I reached an wooden archway. It appeared old, the carvings on it were faded and difficult to decipher.  Just beyond the arch way I could hear running water. 

I followed the sound until I finally found the spring. It was similar in many ways to the spring in Ordon. The only difference was that it was a hot spring. The air was humid from the steam from the hot spring. As I surveyed the area I did not see Sheik anywhere. I suddenly began to panic. 

"Sheik!" I called out.

I shouted her name multiple times but there was not answer. She was not here.