Chapter 33: The Chosen Hero

Zelda's P.O.V

I had to move fast. The Yiga Clan had infiltrated the village and the entire mountainside was crawling with them. Malon and Link was no where to be found, I had assumed the worst. 

I knew I had to keep moving. I was far to exposed out in the open like this. 

I made my way further down the mountainside at a quick pace. I had hoped to make my way through the back entrance of the village opposite from where we came, so that I could escape to Hyrule Field towards Zora's Domain. Here in the valley where the village sat before Death Mountain served as a great fortress to keep intruders out, but once they were in it would be impossible to escape. 

As I made it to the bottom of the mountain it was clear that I had made a poor decsion. There was numerous members of the Yiga Clan posted her. I was spotted almost instantly. 

"There!" One of the member of the Yiga Clan shouted. 

They all turned towards my direction. 

"After her!" another shouted. 

I instantly took off. I ran as fast as I could. They were hot on my heels. I could hear the clanging of their armor behind me as I tried to escape. 

I weaved around idle boulders along the mountainside in attempt to throw them off my trail but it was no use there was too many of them. 

I managed to make it to the path that weaved around Death Mountain that lead back to Hyrule Field. The path was narrow and the loose gravel on the ground made it difficult to gain traction as I ran. I slipped multiple times but was able to catch myself to prevent myself from loosing the lead I had on them. 

My chest was beginning to feel tight as I ran as fast as I could. I could hear my heart beating, it rang in my ears. I could feel it through my entire being. 

When I approached the back entrance I was met by a barricade. 

I skidded to a halt, to find myself trapped. 

The gate was blocked by a broken wagon that was on fire. There was no way out. I was trapped within this canyon. 

The other Yiga Clan members that were pursuing me suddenly caught up. 

"Think Zelda think!" I thought to myself.

There was no one around to help me this time. No Goron, or chosen hero to come to my rescue. 

"We've got you cornered now!" One of the men shouted as they all began to close in. 

I quickly spun around to face them. As they came close I backed up in attempt to distance myself from them, but I could only go so far before I felt the heat from the flames at my back. 

I took one wrong step and  fell back on my behind as they charged forward to kill me. I used my arms in a poor attempt to protect myself from the blows that were about to come, but I felt nothing. 

When I lowered my arms I saw Link standing before me. He stood above me with his back turned. His arms were raised to block the attack that was meant for me. Link had no weapon, he had taken the blow from the swords with his arms. His forearms had been cut deep. Blood dripped down his arms and pooled on the ground. He clenched his teeth in pain.  

"Link?" I tried.

He looked back at me with a certain softness. 

I could tell he was in a great deal of pain but that didn't stop him. I watched in amazement as Link kicked the man down causing the blade to cut deeper into his arms. 

Link cried out in pain as the man fell on his back. 

The rest of the Yiga Clan members stood there in awe.

"Don't just stand there! Attack!" The man that Link knocked down demanded. 

Before they could make any sort of movement a loud rumbling sound shook the earth. 

The gravel on the ground shifted and moved until the earth opened up. I watched as three large Gorons popped out of the ground. Once they reached the surface the Yiga Clan instantly retreated. 

"Gorons?! Retreat!" Their leader shouted as they fled. 

"Oh come one! Does no one want to fight the mighty Darunia?!" One of the Gorons boasted as they ran away. 

"Darunia?" I asked. 

The Goron turned to me in surprise.

"Princess?!" He exclaimed as he bowed. 

"Princess?" Link inquired.

The other three Gorons bowed in suite. 

Darunia was an old friend of mine. His father was the Chief of the Gorons, who had a voice at the council. 

"What are you doing here?" Darunia asked. 

"Its a long story." I laughed awkwardly. 

Darunia laughed in amusement. 

"My father told me that you had been sent off to Termina. I knew you wouldn't stay away from the fight! I have always liked that about you, your spirit is strong just like mine." Darunia chuckled. 

"Your friend there looks injured." The other Goron beside him stated. 

Link was knelling down on the ground cradling his arms in pain. 

I quickly ran to his side. 

"Link are you okay?" I asked. 

It was a silly question, I knew that he was not alright. 

"I've been better." He groaned. 

"My lord Darunia, the village." Darunia's companion reminded. 

Darunia nodded his head in acknowledgement before turning to me.

"Zelda, my father is sending in reinforcements to help the Sheikah Clan and get citizens out of the valley to somewhere safe. " Darunia explained. 

I nodded my head in acknowledgement as I ripped my dress to bandage Link's arms. 

"Zelda your father-" Darunia started but I cut him off. 

"He must not know that I am here. No one can know." I stated firmly.

"Bryne made it clear that nothing will stop him from finding you Zelda, surely this tiny, injured man is not enough to protect you." Darunia argued. 

I couldn't help but feel offended. Link had just risked his life for me. He showed true courage. 

"I think that the Chosen Hero of Time will be more than capable to protect me from the likes of the Yiga Clan." I snapped. 

Darunia raised his eyebrows in surprise. 

"The Choosen Hero?!" He exclaimed. 

Suddenly the two Gorons who came with Darunia kneeled on the ground and bowed their heads in respect. 

Link appeared surprised and slightly confused. 

Darunia rolled his eyes in response. 

"I don't see the Master Sword on him, without it he will never be the Chosen Hero." Darunia explained. 

"We are on our way to getting it right now. So if you don't mind we will be on our way." I snapped. 

Darunia laughed as he shook his head. 

"Be safe Zelda. We will keep anyone from following you two." Darunia huffed as he crushed the cart that blocked the back gate with his large, heavy fists. 

"Thank you Darunia. May the Goddesses protect you." I stated as I helped Link up.