Chapter 34: Flee to the Great Sea

Zelda's P.O.V

Link had lost a lot of blood. His energy was fading as he leaned on me for support. The makeshift bandages that I had made from the scraps of my dress were soaked through.  His wounds needed to be cleaned and re-bandaged properly. 

"You're name's not really Sheik is it?" Link asked.

His voice was hoarse as he spoke. 

I looked up at him as he leaned on me. His eyes were dim and his hair hung over his face. 

"No its not." I sighed. 

Link tensed slightly as we walked through the canyon. 

"Don't worry we are almost there." I tried. 

He was silent for a moment. 

"What is your real name?" He asked. 

"Zelda." I answered. 

"Princess Zelda?" He inquired. 

"Yes." I sighed. 

Link suddenly grew silent.

"Link?" I asked as I stopped walking for a moment. 

Suddenly all of his body weight fell onto me. 

"Link!" I shouted as I attempted to catch him.

We sat there on the ground in a crumpled heap. I managed to shift his body so that I could cradle his head in my lap. I brushed his hair out of his eyes and looked at him for a moment. 

Behind the dirt, grim, and the dried blood on his face was a sense of gentleness. I lifted my hand to his cheek and stroked it softly.

I couldn't help but feel guilty. 

"Why did you do it?" I asked.

I couldn't understand why he would do such a stupid thing. 

I choked back tears as he lied there. 

"You shouldn't have risked your life for me!" I exclaimed.

"Now look at you! Your'e bleeding mess!" I cried. 

As I sat there I failed to notice the incoming sounds of hoofs echoing within the canyon. When I looked up I saw Epona. 

"Epona?" I asked. 

The horse trudged forward and lowered her head towards Link's body. She nudged his leg and snorted. 

She was here to help. 

I gently lifted Link's head off of my lap and laid him on the ground. His breathing was becoming short. 

"We don't have much time Epona." I explained. 

I attempted to lift Link onto his horse but he was very heavy. He was a grown man. 

Epona watched me struggle. She acknowledged the problem and lowered herself to the ground so that it would be easier for me to drape his body over back. 

Once he was on her I took her reins and began to walk out of the canyon. 

We reached the opening of the west end of Hyrule Field. Here is where the Great Sea began and extended all the way to Termina. 

I could see the beach in the distance. 

"This way Epona." I instructed as we walked through the sand dunes. 

There was a overhang due to the structure of the cliffs by the sea. I guided Epona under it  and watched as she knelt down again. I then pulled Link's large form off of her back and laid him onto the sand.

Epona still had our packs attached to her saddle bag. I quickly grabbed it and began to tend to his wounds in hopes that he would wake up.