deux

❝Respirer Paris, cela conserve l'âme.❝ 

  —  Victor Hugo, Les misérables (1862)

.

.

      Europeans seemed to be under the impression that the skinnier the roads and the smaller the cars, the better. After shoving Cathreese's luggage in the back, she and Nathaniel had to squeeze together in the back seat. A few stray elbows to the gut later, they were both settled, albeit uncomfortably, in the back of the car.

     As Kylie climbed into the passenger seat, Cathreese caught a glimpse of her cousin's model-like profile. Kylie's blue eyes were like chips of ice and her full pink lips were set in a tight line. Her jaw was clenched underneath the brush of her porcelain skin and her arms were crossed angrily over her chest. She kept her eyes focused forward as they pulled out of Charles de Gaulle airport.

     Cathreese didn't really know what was going on, but she knew that if she wanted to be on her cousin's good side, she should stay away from Nathaniel. So she slid as far over in the seat as she could; pressing her body up against the side of the car. Nathaniel looked over at her and she saw a flash of hurt in his eyes before he did the same, curling up on his side of the car. An awkward silence settled over everyone.

     It was Aunt Olivia who broke the monotone quiet of tires on a winding road. "So Nathan," she asked cheerfully, "what were you doing at the airport?"

     "Hitting on unsuspecting tourists like he does every weekend." Kylie's voice was bitter, but Cathreese could detect the slightest hint of sadness underneath her harsh words.

      Nathaniel sighed and leaned forward, reaching towards Kylie's arm before deciding that was a bad idea. His hand hung limp at his side as he spoke up in a tired voice that suggested he'd had this conversation before. "I don't go to the airport to hit on tourists. I just go, okay."

     "If you don't go to hit girls, then why won't you just tell me why you're always there?" Kylie's voice was pleading, and Cathreese could tell that she wanted more than anything to believe the words Nathaniel was saying. "Please tell me."

     "I can't all right? I just can't." Nathaniel went back to looking out the window, but his blue eyes weren't focused on the landscapes passing him by.

      No one spoke until Aunt Olivia eased the car to a stop outside a cute two story house. Nathaniel climbed awkwardly out of the car, all eyes on him, "Thanks for the ride Mrs. M." He looked as if he was about to say something else but instead he turned and slipped quietly through the gate that led to his front yard. As the car pulled away Cathreese caught his eyes and he mouthed the words, 'Je m'excuse' Then he turned and hurried inside.

     Aunt Olivia was humming and she tapped on the wheel, the cobblestoned streets causing Cathreese's head to bump the window. Now that Nathaniel was gone she could get more comfortable, but for some reason she could still feel his presence as if he had never left. The heaviness hanging over the car was all his fault.

     "I always liked that boy," Aunt Olivia spoke. "Such a polite young man, always charming and, if I do say so, very attractive. I think you should forgive him Ky."

     Kylie looked at her mother as if she had just suggested that her daughter jump from the top of the Eiffel Tower into a pit full of hungry wolves. "Mum! He cheated on me every weekend for two years, I am not forgiving him! Shows how much you care, siding with that bloody liar over your own daughter. I hate you!"

     Cathreese stared out the window uncomfortably, pulling out her iPod to drown out the angry voices of her aunt and cousin. Even with One Direction blasting in her ear, Kylie's yells still echoed throughout the small car. So much for that relaxing vacation she had planned.

     When they arrived home, which was about a seven minute drive from Nathaniel's house, Kylie ran straight inside and slammed the door behind her. Aunt Olivia's face had taken a sour expression but she still tried to be cheerful as she helped Cathreese bring her bags to the guest room. Then Aunt Olivia disappeared in the kitchen to make tea.

     Now that she was on her own, Cathreese wasn't sure what to do. It was obvious that in their current states, neither her aunt nor cousin would notice if she left the house. She really wanted to explore the town, but knew it would be stupid to do it on her own. So she settled for checking out the house.

     Her aunt's house was a small, extremely pleasant looking stone cottage. It was only one story, but it was a lot bigger on the inside then it had appeared from the outside. Theirs was the only house that Cathreese could see and it was off a tiny, bumpy dirt road. A stone wall surrounded the yard, a weathered metal gate leading to the cobblestone walkway that split the yard. The house had cute white shutters and a slopping roof, tendrils of roses decorating the rain washed stone walls. The damp grass was springy underneath Cathreese's flip-flops, and what ground wasn't covered with the dazzling green blades was home to hundreds of beautiful flowers. The front door was painted a gorgeous shade of blue and Cathreese couldn't stop her brain from noticing that it was almost the exact color of Nathaniel's eyes. The door was much like the door you would find on a horse's stall; the top and bottom could be opened separately. At the moment the top was open and the delicious smell of bread baking was mixing in with the dizzying smells of the gardens. The sky above the cottage hinted that a storm would be approaching soon and Cathreese decided to quicken up her tour. 

     She slipped around the back of the house and discovered that the back door, which was merely a tattered screen, opened into a huge, gently sloping field. In the distance Cathreese could make out a low stone wall and a flock of sheep grazing just beyond it. A small stone path led from the cottage to a stand of trees not too far away. Cathreese took the path, making it a game to stay on the stones and not touch the spongy ground. When she entered the small patch of woods she noticed that the leaves dappled the sunlight, making them appear a shade of green so vibrant Cathreese stopped and stared in delight. The path through the trees came out in a tiny, obviously centuries old graveyard. The stones were weathered, broken, and overgrown. A wooden swing hung from the branch of a bent tree and Cathreese could see herself sitting here, writing or reading. Paris was just as gorgeous as she had been promised.

     Satisfied with her explorations she headed back to the house and locked herself in her room so she could email her best friend.

F R E N C H  L E X I C O N S :

  • Respirer Paris, cela conserve l'âme. - Breathing Paris preserves the soul.    

• Je m'excuse - I'm sorry