(14) Fourteen

Chapter 14

They walked the same path they had taken to the zoo earlier in the week and Cathreese felt herself wondering where they were going, and she was just about to ask when she remembered rule number two. Nathan wasn’t saying much, but he glanced over at her every few seconds as if he had something on the tip of his tongue. But then he would turn and keep walking.

Cathreese used the seconds he wasn’t looking at her to stare at him. He looked even more gorgeous than usual tonight. The light blue button down shirt he was wearing made his eyes look even deeper and more magnificent than Cathreese thought possible. Paired with jeans that fit him perfectly and his dark blue Supras, he managed to look dressed up and casual at the same time. His hair looked like he had run a hand through it, causing it to look artfully tussled even though Cathreese knew he really had just run a hand through it. The only thing that ruined the image was the stuffed knapsack he carried on his back.

When he caught her looking he just smiled slightly, turning his mouth up at one corner.  “We’re almost there.”

Cathreese nodded, noticing that there were a lot of others heading in the same direction as them, most of the women wearing sundresses and the men dressed like Nathan.

“It’s not really that big of a deal, where we’re going. Most people just like to dress nice I guess.” Nathan snuck a peek at her from under his dusting of eyelashes. “That’s why I got you the dress. I figured you’d want to fit in.”

“The dress is perfect, but you didn’t have to buy it for me.” Nathan had refused when she tried to pay him back.

“Well I wasn’t planning on, but then I saw it in the window and it reminded me of you. I thought you would like it.”

“I like it very much.” Cathreese thought she should do something, like give him a hug or a peck on the cheek. But Nathan started to speak before she had the chance.

“You look really pretty Ree,” he cleared his throat in embarrassment. “I know you probably don’t like when I say stuff like that but it’s true and I just wanted you to know.” He looked away, “You always look really pretty.”

“You’re drop dead gorgeous,” Cathreese blurted out before she could stop herself. “I, I mean you look good tonight.” She felt a blush heating her cheeks because she knew Nathan had seen through her weak attempt to fix her blunder. His pretty lips parted in a smile and she could tell he was pleased.

“Really? You think so?”

He sounded like she had just made all his wildest dreams come true and Catheeese couldn’t help but smile back. “Yes, really.”

“Kylie thinks I’m ugly.”

Cathreese scoffed, “I highly doubt that. Some people are just born attractive and you are without a doubt one of them. No one could think you were ugly.”

Nathan led her towards the park as he corrected himself, “She thinks my personality is ugly. Cause of what I supposedly did to her.”