(17) Seventeen

Chapter 17

“This is it,” Nathan said as he sat down in his seat on the train. “Today is the official start of our adventure.”

“Why?” Cathreese plopped down next to him. “I thought Paris was the start.”

Nathan shrugged, “Yeah for you I guess. I’ve been there a billion times before. And we were staying in my cousin’s apartment so it was more like a visit than an adventure, you know? Now we’re on our own. No one to feed us or house us. Just me and you.”

Cathreese thought about this for a second, then decided Nathan was right. They always had someplace to return to at night; someplace where they knew there would be food and a place to sleep. Who knew what was going to happen now that they were breaking away from the safety of the Paris Nathan knew.

“Where are we going?”

“Normandy,” Nathan tugged his backpack into his lap. He had asked Cathreese if she could fit all his belongings in her bag and she had managed to stuff them in, but now her bag looked about to burst at the seams. Nathan’s bag seemed extra full too and she wondered what he had filled it with.

“Normandy?”

“Yeah, Normandy.” Nathan pushed a strand of hair off his forehead. “It’s like on the north coast of Paris. Don't worry we won’t be on here for long.”

Soon enough the train stopped at the trim village and Cathreese and Nathan exited into the old-fashoined feel town.

“Welcome to Normandy,” Nathan held his arms out and spun in a slow circle, the overstuffed bag on his back hindering his progress. “It’s one of the best seaside resorts in France.”

“You sound like you’re quoting a travel book,” Cathreese giggled as she swept her long curls into a messy ponytail. The salt in the air bit at her skin and reminded her of a time long ago, back when her family spent every summer at the beach with her cousins and happiness was found at the bottom of an ice cream cone. She felt a hint of sadness for what used to be, before she pulled herself back into the present and saw Nathan staring at her.

“What is it?” he asked.

“Nothing, I’m fine.”

“You looked sad for a second.”

“Just remembering the past is all.”

“Oh,” Nathan said nothing else and she watched as his eyes glazed over in a faraway fashion, as if he too was falling into the ghostly memories of his past.

Just as suddenly as he had drifted away he was back. “So what do you want to do first Ree Ree? 

Cathreese smiled at him, remembering that he asked a similar question on the day this adventure was dreamed up. She answered in the same fashion, “I don’t know.”