(8) Eight

Chapter 8

After Cathreese pressed send she reread the last few lines of her email. Okay maybe what she wrote wasn’t exactly true. He had said those words, but he meant it in a different way than Cathreese had insinuated to Phoebe. When they got off the bus in Paris, Nathan had bumped into a nervous looking teenager carrying a bunch of roses.

“First date?” Nathan had asked, pointing at the flowers.

The boy nodded, worry etched over his features. “Do you think the roses are too much?”

Nathan had just smiled and said, “Roses have thorns for a reason. It’s because the flowers deserve that sort of protection. As for your girl, if you protect her like a thorn protects a rose she will appreciate that more than any flower in the world.” Then he had turned to Cathreese and gave her a supportive pat on the shoulder, “For this trip I’ll be your thorn.”

Then they walked towards his cousin’s apartment, which happened to be the same direction the boy with the roses was going, and Nathan happily gave him some more tips.

Cathreese sighed; too late to take back the email now. Oh well, Phoebe would lap that up. She was a sucker for romance. Cathreese knew the real reason she had typed it, and it had nothing to do with Phoebe. She was trying to justify to herself why she was so caught up in the whirlwind that was Nathan Richards. She was giving herself a reason to get over Caiden, who she never thought she would part with. Cathreese wasn’t the type of girl to go around and flirt with boys; she only dated Caiden because he was as equally boring as her and they had known each other their entire lives. She hadn’t even known Nathan for a week and here she was sitting in an apartment in the middle of Paris away from her aunt and her cousin. When she stepped off the plane in this same city on Sunday, she didn’t think she would ever be over Caiden. Now it was Tuesday and her only thoughts of him were fleeting at best.

“And this is the living room. Where I will be sleeping tonight.” Nathan walked into the room with a video camera, presenting the tiny room as if it were a magnificent ballroom. “It’s a bit cramped and a bit messy but adventures don’t come with five star hotels now do they?” The camera landed on Cathreese and behind its lens Nathan grinned. “That gorgeous girl right there is my travel companion Cathreese. Say hi to the folks back home Ree.”

Cathreese waved to the camera timidly as Nathan bounded closer to her. He plopped down next to her on the tattered couch and turned the camera so that it got both of them in the picture.

“You may be wondering why I just called Cathreese Ree. And if you were wondering, then it’s your lucky day because you’re about to find out.” He talked to the camera as if it were an old friend, and if it wanted nothing more than to hear about their trip. Though it couldn’t respond, Nathan continued on as if it really had asked why Cathreese was being called Ree. ““Now it's not because it's shorter than saying Reese.” He paused and stared at the camera. "My friend Cathreese here, as you can see, has blonde hair with red streaks." Nathan held up one of her curls for the camera.  "I'm not really a fan of highlights but whenever Cathreese is under the sun her hair glows blondish-red. So the first thing…” he stopped and corrected himself, “no second thing I thought when I saw Cathreese  was that her hair reminded me of strawberry and calling her strawberry is too mouthful. So she’s Ree now.” He grinned proudly at the camera before turning it off.

When in Parisजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें