(12) Twelve

Chapter 12

“Good morning Ree!” Nathan’s booming voice echoed off the walls of the small space and startled her. She fell off the couch and landed on the floor in a tangle of sheets and fiery curls.

“Why are you yelling?” she cringed, gingerly standing as she made sure the sheet hadn’t slipped off her legs. After wrapping it securely around her waist she gave Nathan a glare.

He just smiled sweetly at her, “Truth or dare?”

She moaned and rubbed her eyes, sinking back into the couch. They had been up half the night playing that stupid game and she had hoped Nathan had gotten it out of his system.

“I said,” he sank down next to her, “truth or dare?”

All night she had been saying truth, so she finally switched it up. “Dare.”

“Great. I dare you to come swimming with me today. In the French Sea.”

“Why is that a dare? That sounds fun.” She tried to tame her curls, which usually fell in perfect ringlets down her back. But sleeping on them always made them a hassle.

“Your hair looks fine,” Nathan slapped her hand away. “And it’s a dare because one, the sea is freezing and two, we don’t have bathing suits.”

He laughed at the look of shock on her face, “I’m not asking you to go skinny dipping Ree. Wear a bra and stuff, but I knew you would say no if I just straight up asked you to come.” He smiled smugly, “I knew you would pick dare.”

“Rule number one.”

“We’d both be breaking it, so it would be okay.” He reached towards a piece of paper that was resting on the coffee table. A pen sat by his feet and he snatched it up. After a lot of mumbling and scribbling, he presented Cathreese with a contract.

She read his loopy handwriting out loud, “We the undersigned agree that for the sake of fun, adventure, and the age old tradition of truth or dare, that swimming in our underwear is not a direct violation of rule number one (which states that clothes must be worn at all times).” Underneath were two blank lines waiting for their signatures.

“Fine,” Cathreese muttered as she scrawled her name on the first line.

“Wonderful,” Nathan signed his name and then proceeded in dumping the contents of his backpack on the floor. He piled his clothes, which were all crumbled and wrinkled, in the corner of the room. Then he disappeared into the bathroom and emerged with two towels. One went to Cathreese and the other went straight into his bag.

Cathreese followed suit, but she went into the bathroom first to change. She had brought a sports bra with her and that’s what she pulled on, along with a pair of black boy shorts. It was actually a lot less revealing then the bikini she had brought with her to Paris. After pulling her cut-offs and white cami on, she was ready to hit the beach with Nathan.

*** 

***

“Race you!” Nathan called, sheading his shirt and shorts as if he undressed on the run every day. He kicked up sand as Cathreese tried to keep herself from checking out his very adorable butt in his purple boxers. Before she could even blink he dove into the water, emerging a few feet out with his hair plastered to his forehead. “Come on Ree!”

She nodded in a ‘be there in a sec’ way and collected the clothes and backpack he had left scattered in the sand. After piling everything together, she slipped out of her clothes, glancing around self-consciously. She was looking for someone who would yell at them for swimming in their underwear, but the only person watching them was an older woman who had an ‘ahh young love’ smile on. What was it with old people thinking they were dating?

Nathan was getting impatient, slapping the water with his hands as he chanted “Ree! Ree! Ree!”

“I’m coming!” She twirled her hair into a messy bun at the base of her neck and stepped tenderly into the water. The shock of the cold sea hit her and she caught her breath. How had Nathan just jumped in like that?

“Hey Ree!” Cathreese turned at the sound of Nathan’s voice and was met with a face full of water. She screeched loudly as he splashed her again.

“Stop it Nathan!”

“What? Sorry I can’t hear you.” He splashed her one more time before swimming closer to her. She watched warily, knowing he had something up his sleeve. “Remember truth or dare last night?”

“Yes,” she answered cautiously.

“Remember when I asked you what your biggest fear is?”

“Yeah,” she drew out the word in confusion. Her biggest fear had absolutely nothing to do with water or swimming.

“You said your biggest fear was being trapped without escape, right?”

She nodded.

“I can help you fix that fear.” At that second he lunged at her, wrapping one arm around her waist and the other around her head. He dunked her in the water, holding her under as she struggled to find a way out. He was strong and Cathreese was starting to panic. Just when she thought she was going to die, trapped under the icy water of the French Sea, Nathan released her head and tugged her to the surface.

“Better?”

Better? Did he seriously ask her if she was better? He had just held her underwater for an extended amount of time and now he wanted to know if her fear was better? Water from her damp hair dripped into her mouth, which was hanging open in shock. How could she be better?

“Worse.”

“What?” Nathan looked genuinely confused. “But I saved you.”

“Yeah, after trying to kill me.”

“No, I was just trying to show you that you don’t have to be afraid. Because I’m here.” His eyes were like magnets, she couldn’t tear her gaze away. “And I will always save you.”

Then he ducked under the water and wrapped a hand around her ankle, pulling her back under. This time, she laughed, accidently swallowing some unpleasant tasting sea water. They spent the rest of the day playing tag, doing handstands, and fighting off hypothermia wrapped in their borrowed bath towels.

It was the most fun Cathreese had ever had.