Two

It had been a weird night, that's all it was. Being around my family always threw me for a loop and it was one of my special date night/cards nights so that was making Greg act strangely. Still, had he really asked me to move in? Or not quite asked, but kind of? This was going to drive me crazy.  "Sir?"

"Yes Pet?"  He had been just about ready to lay down in bed but he sat up again and turned towards me.

"It's just..."  I shouldn't ask. I should wait for him to bring it up again. Then again, he was well fed and seemed pretty happy so maybe it wasn't that bad of a time to ask. "Did you say something about maybe living together?"

"Yes. Wasn't I clear?"

I couldn't actually remember what he had said. "You might have been but my brain sort of short-circuited and I don't really remember it. Would you mind repeating yourself?"

He looked at me really, really intensely. I started to get worried. "Are you testing me?"

Huh?  "No Sir."

He turned away. "I haven't yet made a decision. As I said, I am simply considering the concept. When I first moved down to San Diego you seemed upset that I didn't want to live with you at that time so does that mean you would be open to the idea?"

Breathe. In and out. Breathe.  What would Amanda tell me to do? What would Ollie say? Jumping up and down and screaming 'YES' is not the right answer here. "I might be Sir. Like you, I would have to think about it. I guess it would depend a lot on the details. I assume you want to stay down in San Diego?"

"Obviously."

He wasn't implying that I was stupid and should've known that, even though that's what it sounded like. He was just being Greg.  "Ollie mentioned that your mom might be selling her house. Are you going to live there?"

"It seems the obvious answer Pet, does it not? It's as big as our two apartments put together. I'm sure you're curious but since I haven't made a decision yet it seems silly to go over the fine details. We can discuss this later."

My gut reaction was to bristle up and be offended that we weren't hashing it out together but honestly, this wasn't something I wanted to try to convince him to do. If he was going to do it, he needed to want to. Plus it gave me time to think about it and probably time to talk to Amanda about it as well. 

I just didn't get it though. We'd come so far during the past few weeks but I still didn't think we were anywhere near here. He hadn't wanted to live with me six months ago so why did he now? He probably didn't. Once he thought about it he was going to decide not to ask. I needed to accept that fact and not get my hopes up.  Yeah, right.

I had the kitchen remodeled in my head already. I wanted cupboards just like the ones in my little bookstore apartment. I really wanted one of those cool faucets over the stove to fill the pasta pots with. And a bar or island. We needed somewhere to put his stools. I tried to imagine his furniture in the house and wondered if he would put the Den in the den. Ironic.

He would probably take the master bedroom upstairs, of course he would. And he'd need a painting room. I knew his stuff was already in one of the bedrooms, it must have been in the guestroom because I hadn't seen it in his childhood bedroom when he'd had his mini breakdown. So would he give me his bedroom? It was a nice sized room but I wondered if it would bother him when I changed things? Even I wasn't delusional enough to think that we would actually be sharing a room all the time.

Would I be allowed in the kitchen?  What if I wanted to have friends over?  How was he going to deal with that? What about Wyatt? I wasn't going to lock him up every day before Greg got home. This was a horrible idea.

"Are you okay?"

After I got over the little mini heart attack, I was. How did he know I wasn't asleep?  "Yes Sir, I'm fine. Having trouble sleeping?"

"You're usually asleep within 16 to 20 minutes but it's been over half an hour now. As for me, as you know I often have trouble sleeping."

It was really nice to have him in bed with me. I was turned on my side away from him so I couldn't see him but I figured he was lying on his back.  Even though my brain was going a mile a minute, I was really relaxed. "I can't get my brain to shut up. I keep thinking about... well, what you're thinking about. Living together" I clarified.

"That's not what I was thinking about. I was wondering if you would like me to take the mirror off the ceiling in the Den. Charlie requested it and I have to admit that I've gotten rather used to it but I will leave the decision up to you."

Since when did I make any decisions about the Den? "I think I like it."

"Very well. If we both decide that moving in together is a good next step, Kevin has invited us up for dinner to speak with him and Ollie about it. He seems to think it could be beneficial."

I wasn't sure if I was actually nodding or just nodding so hard in my head that it felt like I was. "That would actually totally help. I'm sure there are lots of things that neither one of us will think about. Not that you not thinking about it, and I will too but... sorry if that was rude."

"I believe you are insinuating that there are problems and or possibilities that we may not think about ahead of time."

Thank God. "Yes Sir, that's what I meant."

"Also, while I'm here, this is perhaps a bad time to bring this up but I thought you might like to find out what center your father is in. If you speak to Kevin about it, there may be better ones available.  Perhaps it would even do him good to come to a larger center.  I would be happy to help pay for it if that would help."

No, he spent way too much on me as it was. It's not like I was bankrupt. But I hadn't even considered the fact that he and mom might be choosing based on several factors, and of course money would be one. I really should have offered. "I'll call mom in the morning. Thank you Sir, I hadn't even thought of that and I can easily pay for whatever he might need."

"If you need any thing else, just let me know."

That offer was a hell of an egg. "Thank you Sir. I hope you sleep well."

"Goodnight Princess."