Forty Two

He had probably just gotten into his car when he sent me a text.  I hadn't even decided which container or containers to put all the leftover chicken wings in.

Sir: to be clear, I will see you Saturday evening. However, it's obvious that dinner at Kevin's is involved in this house mess and I will need time to process before making a decision on that.

Oh, that was much better. I thought he hadn't wanted to see me at all and I really wouldn't blame him. Usually when I messed up there was some gray area and I sort of felt self-righteous about it. I could usually convince myself that he was overreacting. This time he wasn't.

Chris: thank you Sir. I really am very sorry, I just got overexcited. I don't blame you for being mad.

Sir: I'm not mad. I don't know what I am but it's not a good emotion.

What a difference from a year ago when he would have just stormed off and let me wonder. Even pissed off, he had taken the time to make sure that I hadn't misunderstood him and that I knew we would still see each other soon. It wasn't tomorrow, to look at the house that I desperately wanted, but it was a huge olive branch from Greg.

And then hit me, I knew exactly how he felt. At least possibly. I had been in his position, a little. Granted, mine had been much worse but still, it hit close to home.

Chris: Betrayed, Sir. Like you're an afterthought. I felt the same way when you sprung moving to San Diego on me. I had no idea that that's what I was doing.

Chris: I rushed you, just like you did me. And you had agreed to live with me but not there or in this way. Forget the house. There will be another one if you decide it's the way we should go. I am so so SO sorry.

Sir: it makes much more sense to see where I become employed and then look for a house there, does it not?

It did. Of course it did. But he hadn't seen the house and gotten excited. It was easy to be rational when you weren't in love.

Chris:  Yes Sir.

Sir: you've made some good points and I heard you and will consider them.

Chris Thanks for msging me and talking. And for listening. Sorry I messed that up.

Sir: Forgiven. I will talk to you in the morning when you awaken.

*** *** ***

I got up early. One because my alarm was going off and two because Wyatt was sleeping on my face. I had a headache and had to drive to LA. The headaches had gotten less frequent since I'd started with the iron supplements and all that jazz, but this one had picked a crappy day to arrive. I went to the bathroom, took an Excedrin and then got back into bed to text Greg.

Chris: I'm up. Had a hard time getting to sleep but slept well. Have to drive to LA today for work. I have a headache but otherwise I'm fine.

And for a house viewing, I thought with a sigh. Oh well, it wasn't meant to be.

Sir: I'm likewise going to LA. It seems silly for us to both drive. What hours do you need to be there?

Chris: I have an 11 o'clock meeting that will probably go until one or so. Then there will be lunch and I'll come home afterwards.

I had originally hoped to have a quick lunch with Greg and show him the house at 2:00 but I would just go out with my colleagues since that wasn't going to happen.

Sir: I have a noon appointment. I will drive and pick you up at 8:20 if that's acceptable to you.

I had been planning on leaving at 8:30, or let's be real, 8:45 and probably being late but I would hurry if it meant I didn't have to drive.

Chris: Sounds great. I'll be ready.

And I was, believe it or not. I then went downstairs to wait so that he didn't have to park and get out of the car. That was one of the good things about waiting for Greg, I knew he would be on time and he was, pulling in at 8:19.

Suddenly I had no idea whether to wait for him to get out and open the door or to do the normal thing and just hop in.  He usually did my door though and he was... he was getting out.    He came around and opened my door.  "How is your head?" he asked quietly.

"Better, a little.  Thank you.  For asking, and driving, and not being as mad about yesterday as you should be."

He didn't answer me until we had turned around and were back on the road.  "Moving seems to be an impossible subject.  I did worse than you, did I not, when I informed you about San Diego?  I've been in your position; I understand how it feels when the answer seems obvious.  However, Pet?  As much as I try to keep up with you, sometimes I can not."

He was being so open with me, so honest, that I almost felt worse.  "I know."

"When I told you last weekend that I would consider your offer, I meant it.  I felt it was as far as I could go at the present time.  You ignored the boundary that we had agreed on."

"I know."  I did, I'd figured this all out on my own.  Still, I was glad to know I'd been right.  "I was so caught up in the excitement that I didn't realize what I was doing until afterwards.  My head ran away with me."

"It does that, sometimes.  I'm trying not to equate it with being disrespectful but that's hard for me to do.  The way I see the world is very orderly and you have turned that all on it's head and I like to think I'm adjusting but when things are already such a mess, with my job..."

"I know."

"I'm glad you can see it from my side, Pet."

So was I.