Eight

"Are you ready to leave?" he asked.

"I am if you are. I have my gorilla and I'm a happy boy. Thank you. You still have a few tickets though, do you want to ride the swings again? Or something else? I'm happy to wait."

He looked towards them as they flew through the air, only half full. "The line is very short." I just waited. He wanted to and I wanted him to; he deserved to have some fun. He didn't answer me, just took off in that direction. "Where shall I put your ape?"

"I can manage to hold him for a few minutes. Unless you want to put him in a swing?" I asked and then realized I'd been stupid. Greg looked at me as if I had asked him to take the fish. "I'll be fine." I sort of squeezed the gorilla between the fence and my body so that my arms didn't have to hold the weight. It worked. If anything, Greg seemed to have more fun the second time on the swings than he had the first time. He held his hand out, holding it horizontally and then vertically as if he was playing with the wind. I couldn't help but smile.

I was probably imagining it, but he seemed to have a little skip in his step when he came towards me.  "Chris, I would like you to go on the Ferris wheel with me. Does that pose a hardship for you?"

A Ferris wheel I could do, especially if he was there with me. "Do you promise not to let me fall out?"

"Of course.  I suppose we could put the monkey on the end. Would you feel safer between us?"

I wasn't sure if he was joking but it actually sounded really good. "That would be perfect." Greg handed the ticket guy the remaining tickets and soon we were squished into a seat. I was happy.  I loved feeling his thigh against mine and his solid shoulder next to me. "This has been the best date" I mentioned as soon as we started moving.

"This isn't a date. I'm working. Well I was. I guess I'm not sure of the protocol."

"I think I'd really like to consider it one. I had a wonderful time and it's been nice seeing you. I missed you when I was gone."

He didn't answer right away. We had gone a complete circle before he said anything. "Chris?"

"Yes Sir?"

"I've decided that I am willing to allow you to move in with me. I realize that you may need some time to consider it but please let me know when you've made your decision.  If you agree we will work out the details over dinner."

Just like that? I tried not to focus on the 'willing to allow you'. It wasn't like this was my idea. Still, this was a huge deal for him. And for me. For us. The ride lurched to a stop and he threw his arm around me to hold me in place. I was safe with him. I could trust him. Any man who was willing to let a boy re-throw his rings, to form a barricade to help someone out during a meltdown and was willing to not only win me a huge, purple, stuffed gorilla but then to carry it around the carnival was a good man.  A great man.

Yes, we would have bad days. He would drop his filters and I would read him wrong. I would take things personally and he wouldn't understand me. It would happen, that was just a fact. But why should those few bad days overshadow all the good ones we would have?

"I would love to have a home with you Sir."  My mouth was so dry I could barely get the words out.

"Good. I'll tell my mother that we will take the house."

Ah, so that wasn't up for discussion. This was where Ollie would tell me to let him lead us across the street. I had to give up this choice. It wasn't a fight worth having. "Okay. Shit, what about the fish?" He was right, my brain was my own worst enemy. What the hell was I doing thinking about a fish at a time like this?

"I was planning on giving it to my mother to take to her new apartment. Since dad has died she hasn't had anyone to care for and she's been taking it out on me. Perhaps a pet will do her good."

A goldfish wasn't going to replace her husband but if I wasn't going to argue about where we lived, this certainly wasn't worth causing an argument over. Maybe she'd enjoy having the fish. Then again, "Sir? Perhaps you shouldn't mention that part to her?"

He thought about it. "You're probably right. I won't."

"Are you sure about this?" I didn't want to ask because I wasn't sure I wanted to the answer  but part of me needed to know.

"Of course. What use do I have for a fish? Besides, we've been over the  fact that Wyatt can't be with him. I assume you will bring your cat  when you move in.  I guess we could give the cat to my mother and keep the fish."

I was better at hitting the stupid cans than making a point with Greg.  "Wyatt will come with me, of course. But I meant the other thing. Are you sure about us living together? It's a big step."

"Yes, I know.  I thought about it.  For much longer than you did, to be honest. Maybe I should be questioning your decision."  He took my hand  and I just about fell out of the carriage. "Pet?  Don't move in unless you plan to stay."

He was worried. I had hurt him much more  than I ever thought I would.  "I'm not going anywhere. You'll be there to help me and I want to be with you Sir. I think I needed to go, before, to figure things out but I did that.  I'm where I want to be."

"Good."