Stronger

The weeks after were normal, I guess. He figured that his foot was not broken, thankfully.

But for the first few days, I went over and helped him out. I did so until I realized he was overreacting, trying to get me to help him.

Then after that, I guess things just went back to normal. I hated him. He bugged the crap out of me. I strained not to slit his throat.

But sometimes, I couldn't help but feel that we didn't really mean the words we said. That we were fighting for absolutely nothing. Just to have the excuse of a little company in this small, uneventful city.

Sometimes, we'd even end up leaving our fights with a little chuckle. It seemed to work for both of us, though.

I grabbed my guitar and played a few strings. It had been so long since I'd played this old thing. It was terribly out of tune, and the notes sounded worn out, but it made me feel at home.

It reminded me of late nights by the fire, playing random notes, singing along to songs that didn't exist, but somehow knowing all the words by heart.

I smiled as I strummed along. I laughed at all my- our silly old childish dreams. We were teenagers. We should have known better.

We dreamed of touring the world, playing songs, and singing. I really had no vocal talent, and wasn't exceptional at the guitar, but he made me feel like I did. He was the one with all the talent. He could play the piano like nobody's business. And he could make stupid words sound like a well written song.

I wondered what he wanted now. I would always regret not making him pursue his singing fantasies. He could be so much more. What was his new fantasy? Did he even have one? Or was he too old to believe that anymore, just like the word love?

I hummed a tune to my playing.

My phone rang. I set my guitar down and picked it up.

"Hey, sweetheart! How's life in the city?"

I gasped. "Hey Dad! It's so great to hear from you! And life's great! But I can barely call it a city. It's only a fraction bigger than home."

It was so weird to hear my dads voice. He was always busy. I didn't see him much growing up, only about once a month or so. But me and him had this unspoken connection. We loved each other, and we treasured the small moments that we had shared.

"So.. Any friends?" He asked.

He had asked me that question every time he'd see me, but the answer was always the same- no.

I had always had trouble finding friends. I wasn't super easy to like. Unlike Charlie, who was everybody's golden boy.

"No, not yet", I sighed.

"Anyone?" He asked hopefully.

"No one", I lied, for I would never dare to admit that I was stuck next I the man who caused me to run away at age sixteen. They hated even the thought of him.

"Really? I'm sorry, honey. They really don't know what their missing", he said.

"It's fine dad. I'm sure ill find someone. But this is a small city. Not a whole lot of enjoyable people".

"Promise you'll find someone to keep you company?" He asked.

"Promise", I said through my teeth.

"Okay, sweetheart. I have to go now. Be careful! I love you!"

"Love you too Dad", I said, hanging up and dropping my phone.

"You know, it's not right to lie to your parents", I heard through the door.

I angrily stood up and opened the door.

"You know, it's not right to eavesdrop", I said, scowling.

"Why are you ashamed to admit that you aren't completely alone? Then they'd be right?"

"About what?" I asked.

"That you're not simply the angry little dwarf that you appear to be", he said.

I frowned big. "I wouldn't tell my parents about you if there were a gun to my head".

"Ahh, you want to keep your feelings for me a secret", he said, smirking.

"No. I want to live here. If they knew you were next door, they'd never let me stay. Or they'd come see to your death."

He smiled. "And you don't want me to die. Now do you?"

"No. Id kill you myself. But I don't want me or my parents to end up in jail."

"Yeah. You wouldn't look good in prison stripes", he said.

"And you wouldn't look good as a dead man surrounded by a pool of blood", I smiled.

"You draw such a vivid picture, darling", he said.

"I've had time", I said with a smile.

"Joanna, how's your family?" He asked, seriously.

"Their fine", I said.

He leaned in closer. "Your dad included?"

I looked at him in rage. "How dare you?!?"

I shut the door in his face. He knew what had happened with my dad. And he knew I couldn't get over it.

The eery silence between us lasted only a minute.

"Joanna, I didn't mean it. I'm sorry", he said through the door.

I didn't reply. Instead, I locked the door and walked away.

He knew my weaknesses, and he had not a single but of kindness in him to restrain from using them against me.

What did he hope to gain? Perhaps that I would fall into his arms once more? Beg at his feet like a lost puppy? Forgive everything like it didn't even happen.

Well, whatever he thought, it was never going to happen. I was going to stay strong and put up all my defenses. I was going to guard myself. No more tears. No more heartbreak. Nothing.

I was stronger.

Hey! I wasn't going to update, but you guys have been so supportive!!! And plus, it's thanksgiving!!! Hope you liked this!!!! Don't forget to vote and comment! Your feedback means everything!!!